• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

LED Nonsense

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
It's amazing how poor technical report writers can be these days.

4 tips to make your LED bulbs last longer

http://flip.it/_7z6Oo

My eyes started to roll a little bit when I read about the circumference which is required between the bulb and fixture.

But my hair didn't catch fire until I read where a fixture can "deliver" too much wattage to your bulb.

@Djcala
I don't have enough hair left to start a real good fire so I thought I'd share this.

Last edited:
Most LED bulbs don't require a dedicated power supply these days. They just run off the 120v that is coming to the fixture. The electronics in the LED bulb itself is what steps it down and converts it to DC inside the housing.

Also, LED bulbs mostly sip power. Even a 100w (equivalent light output), only actually uses about 15-17 watts of power anyway. And they don't get very hot either because they are using so little power. I can leave my living room lights on essentially for 10 hours and then reach up and unscrew them without even giving them a minute to cool down. You won't do that with ordinary bulbs without getting scalded.

But I guess for someone that doesn't have their electrical certifications, that reporting from doing a quick google search online and getting the wrong information from others who also do not have electrical certifications, the article sounds good I suppose.

Unless you actually do know something about the subject.

Even if you only know the definition of circumference and the difference between enclosed and inclosed, this would be embarrassing.

I used to expect better from CNET.

So, the first link I clicked on to see where she got her info was the one at the bottom of the article, where it says, "Every time an LED is turned on, it puts extra wear on the bulb. "
And when I read the linked page, it said, "Since LEDs produce light through electro-luminescence, frequently switching on and off has no effect on them."
:punish:
Maybe she needs her mouth washed out with a bar of soap for telling lies.... :laugh:

The comments on the article are pretty good as well....lol

I often find the lack of simple common sense sometimes displayed by educated people astonishing, combine that with a lack of deductive reasoning often present in the fairer sex...and KABOOM BRAIN EXPLODES

Most LED bulbs don't require a dedicated power supply these days. They just run off the 120v that is coming to the fixture. The electronics in the LED bulb itself is what steps it down and converts it to DC inside the housing.

I bought out a Lowe's supply of "older" 4' LED 2-pin (on both ends) "bulbs" that they were phasing out because the newer ones had "fail-safe" circuitry. The ones I got were designed to be a direct "replacement" for the common 4' flourescent T12 bulbs but apparently they did not work with older ballasts or something. I got about 20-30 of them at $4 each. They DO work if you are willing to re-wire the fixture for "direct" 120v power to the bulbs. In fact, they will work if you simply wire a cord to the "hot" end as I've done to "test" them with a couple butt connectors...

What passes as journalism these days is pathetic. Perhaps the journalism schools should revert to teaching journalism instead of so much social engineering. The world would be a better place.

Back