• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Legal carry

Hog Doc

.22LR
From what I understand, it is illegal to conceal carry the Shockwave. Does that mean you cannot put it into a zipped case and strap it on your back? Is the only legal way to carry this from one place to another is openly carried by a sling? Thanks

It all depends on your state laws. For example, I live in NC, and we have a CHP (concealed handgun permit) here. Since the shockwave is classified as a firearm by the ATF, I could not legally conceal it here.

From what I understand, it is illegal to conceal carry..? Thanks

Every question that starts out with "Is it illegal [or legal]..." requires an answer that starts with, "That depends."

So here goes:
That depends.
Where do you live?
Where do you want to carry?
What credentials do you have?
How old are you?
Are you a criminal?
Are you crazy?

And it goes on and on.

The biggest caution is don't do ANYTHING on the advice from some Bozo on the Internet.
That includes me! I am a BOTI as far as you [or the courts or law enforcement] are concerned.
Mistakes in your area of concern can be painfully expensive.

Here is my advice to get the information you need:
Get guidance from people that are trained and experienced it the area of your question.
Start with a lawyer... this IS a legal question, right?
Get someone who is knows the field. You should be able to mention BATF, GCA68, NFA34, Class 3, SOT, SBR, AOW and the lawyer should know what all of that stuff means without having to check a computer or book.

When you get the advice you think guides you correctly write a letter to whatever legal expert you use with a set of explicit questions. Like "Is it legal for me to... carry... such and such... at... blah... blah? Then get written responses and justifications that you understand. Keep copies around. You may need that later. [Actually the rule is: If you have the copies you won't ever need them. If you don't have them... well you get the idea.]

I have written state AGs with specific questions. In your case you might want to add some federal offices since jurisdiction over you actions are covered at multiple legal levels.

I'll pass along this caution. I once thought it would be a good idea to get guidance from BATFE about something. I got this advice from my law enforcement mentor [FFL/Class 3] when I asked him how to approach the concern. His advice to me was NEVER CONTACT BATF about this stuff. You don't ever want them to start sniffing around in your gun business if you can help it. Get advice from the most knowledgeable people you can tap.

So @Hog Doc , I can't give you any specific advice. But I am surely interested in you journey thru this. Please share what you can with us about your journey about this.

Last edited:
Every question that starts out with "Is it illegal [or legal]..." requires an answer that starts with, "That depends."

So hear goes:
That depends.
Where do you live?
Where do you want to carry?
What credentials do you have?
How old are you?
Are you a criminal?
Are you crazy?

And it goes on and on.

The biggest caution is don't do ANYTHING on the advice from some Bozo on the Internet.
That includes me! I am a BOTI as far as you [or the courts or law enforcement] are concerned.
Mistakes in your area of concern can be painfully expensive.

Here is my advice to get the information you need:
Get guidance from people that are trained and experienced it the area of your question.
Start with a lawyer... this IS a legal question, right?
Get someone who is knows the field. You should be able to mention BATF, GCA68, NFA34, Class 3, SOT, SBR, AOW and the lawyer should know what all of that stuff means without having to check a computer or book.

When you get the advice you thinks guides you correctly write a letter to whatever legal expert you use with a set of explicit questions. Like "Is it legal for me to... carry... such and such... at... blah... blah? Then get written responses and justifications that you understand. Keep copies around. You may need that later. [Actually the rule is: If you have the copies you won't ever need them. If you don't have them... well you get the idea.]

I have written state AGs with specific questions. In your case you might want to add some federal offices since jurisdiction over you actions are covered at multiple legal levels.

I'll pass along this caution. I once thought it would be a good idea to get guidance from BATFE about something. I got this advice from my law enforcement mentor [FFL/Class 3] when I asked him how to approach the concern. His advice to me was NEVER CONTACT BATF about this stuff. You don't ever want them to start sniffing around in your gun business if you can help it. Get advice from the most knowledgeable people you can tap.

So @Hog Doc , I can't give you any specific advice. But I am surely interested in you journey thru this. Please share what you can with us about your journey about this.
Thanks Scoop and very good advice. I will continue on this journey.

My father had the best policy I've heard of yet......"I'll do what's best for me."

Too many bureaucrats pass too many laws. He, my wife, and I all carry 100% of the time and avoid radical states. The Shockwave or the beat up old Maverick 88 pistol grip 18.5" is in or vehicles 100% of the time. Mossberg did a nice job with that little shotgun. Handguns are not the best first choice but are the best CC weapon. That pretty much sums up my thoughts on guns for self defense.

OK, Ima be the nonconformist and say "no, don't do that." Even if your state laws don't prohibit carrying it concealed, you have a problem with federal law. Here is what Mossberg has to say about it:

Do not carry the Mossberg Shockwave concealed. If this gun is carry concealed, it would be defined by BATFE as an A.O.W. and the user could be charged with possession of an unregistered NFA weapon. https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/MOSSBERG_590-SHOCKWAVE-PUMP-ACTION.pdf

I think the Shockwave will be one of the first to hit a ban list. Democrats don't want us to have them

I think the Shockwave will be one of the first to hit a ban list. Democrats don't want us to have them

Three things:

A) Don't agree because they haven't locked in on the name "Shockwave" yet. Democrats are pretty much ignorant on those and they do fall within current laws concerning being legal to exist, own, and carry in some states. In my state, I can carry it open with out a permit and concealed with a permit. I will never carry a firearm open.

B) Democrats will first lock in on the terms "assault rifle", whatever that is, and "AR-15". They know those names but not what they mean. They still will not successfully ban guns when nobody knows how many exist in the first place. More than half of mine are untraceable, including my newest to me firearm.

C) Addressing "Smashing Pumpkins", my state doesn't ban carrying firearms or "others" concealed as long as I have a concealed permit. I know my local Police Chief in a not so small city and he confirmed my Shockwave will not be a problem with State, City, or Federal law enforcement as I carry it. My state doesn't give a rat's behind about citizens carrying concealed with permits, in fact they encourage it. Again, I will always "do what's best for me". Any reason anybody else wouldn't when it comes to protection of one's life or their family? I'm not going to stop and look up a law when someone is trying to kill me. Not likely to happen anyway. I just like guns. Peace.

Democrats don't believe in or want the power that The Constitution bestows upon us. BTW, I carry my Shockwave with me in plain sight on the front seat. If I go in someplace I put it in a case in the back seat. If someone steals it, oh well. I have serial numbers recorded and I'll just get another one.

C) Addressing "Smashing Pumpkins", my state doesn't ban carrying firearms or "others" concealed as long as I have a concealed permit. I know my local Police Chief in a not so small city and he confirmed my Shockwave will not be a problem with State, City, or Federal law enforcement as I carry it. My state doesn't give a rat's behind about citizens carrying concealed with permits, in fact they encourage it. Again, I will always "do what's best for me". Any reason anybody else wouldn't when it comes to protection of one's life or their family? I'm not going to stop and look up a law when someone is trying to kill me. Not likely to happen anyway. I just like guns. Peace.

Frogdog, you gotta do you. But OP was asking about the legality, and nothing you said addresses the point I quoted from Mossberg's site about concealing the Shockwave violating the NFA.

Frogdog, you gotta do you. But OP was asking about the legality, and nothing you said addresses the point I quoted from Mossberg's site about concealing the Shockwave violating the NFA.

Thanks for pointing that out S. P. .....seriously. I'm a non-conformist, generally speaking. Just information, no more no less. Have a great weekend!

Thanks for pointing that out S. P. .....seriously. I'm a non-conformist, generally speaking. Just information, no more no less. Have a great weekend!

Thanks, you too. Hope I can smash some pumpkins this weekend! I wonder if the mods will let me change my screen name to Smashing Pumpkins? It's a little more happening than MossBack, don't ya think?

Back