• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let's See Those Custom/Rare Blades

SeaScout

Hi,
This is a hand forged horse shoe knife by Ray Rantanen.
One of my favorites.
5ADD7E5C.jpg

Cheers...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Ah, VERY nice!
Thanks, Ray has made many items over the years for me including Hawks and several knives of various sizes made from horse shoes as well as his very well known Damascus steel blades.
Best...

I've got an old WW2 katana that my grandfather brought back after the war. I have never done anything with it but i suppose i will photograph it so that everyone can check it out! it's pretty cool. it is in rough shape but the blade still looks to be in good shape. It just sits in the back corner of the safe for now.

I also don't know how rare this is but i've had it for as long as i can remember. I think my uncle gave it to my dad after vietnam and i got it from my dad. I could be wrong about the vietnam thing...
What is the best way to clean something like this up or is it to far gone to try to fix.

232323232%7Ffp53854%3Enu%3D8%3B%3A2%3E%3A55%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D38%3C437%3C85%3B32%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp537%3C2%3Enu%3D8%3B%3A2%3E%3A55%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D38%3C437%3C86232%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp537%3A2%3Enu%3D8%3B%3A2%3E%3A55%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D38%3C43765%3B632%3Anu0mrj

I don't think I'd try to clean it up.

I'd probably just keep it well oiled several times a year.

it's never been oiled since i've had it. Always just kept it in my snapon tool box. Just didn't know if oil and a little 0000 steel wool would hurt it or not.

bsipes30 said:
it's never been oiled since i've had it. Always just kept it in my snapon tool box. Just didn't know if oil and a little 0000 steel wool would hurt it or not.
Hi,
Using steel wool on it will destroy the patina and seriously lower the value. :D
Just oil it as needed for preservation would be best.
Cheers....

Cool thanks. I'm not a knife guy and to me it looks like it was sharpened a couple of times. It links similar to an m7 knife but the handle looks different. I'm not sure what kind of knife it is.

Just looked it over with a jewelry loupe and it says usm4 imperial and has what I call a ammo piss pot on it. So it's probably older than Vietnam. Looks like it might be from ww2 also

Those were used mostly in WW 2 and Korea on the the M1 Carbine.

Cool knife...it looks almost like my us navy mark 1...

Hey guys,
Here is my late 60's early 70's naval flight ops survival knife. It would have been carried in the pocket of a flight suit to be used in case of ejection. It is small, light and full auto on the main blade. If needed, it has a manually deployed shroud cutter which would have been used if a pilot landed in trees. That is the hooked blade.
This knife was given to me as a gift by current active duty Navy folks as a thank you for my time as a former Army Recon NCO. They knew I had seen one as a young boy and was impressed and took the time to find one, even though they have not been used for years, to add to my my collection.
The yellow lanyard has the last four digits of someone's ssn and initials as well as the VAQ etched on one side of the blade in case the worst happened and a body needed to be identified.
It is a cherished gift.
d0d45ba9.jpg

Cheers...

Very nice....Looks like it has seen some use.

ripjack13 said:
Very nice....Looks like it has seen some use.
This is one of those if only it could talk knives. It must have been used on many many flight ops before being thrown in some corner of a Navy warehouse before finding its way to me.
Cheers!

Back