• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let's talk slings

This is the three point sling from Specter Gear. It includes the mounting adapters that are pictured here. I should probably learn to use it to its fullest, or at least as much as I'm able with the shotgun.

image.jpg

I have tried a bunch of different slings but I haven't found one that beats the Viking Tactics options.
VTAC-MK2-2T.jpg

http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk2.htm

Finished a second m1907 sling for another rifle. Came raw like the last one...

This time I used a tan color antique finish gel dye. It's a little orange right now, but should darken up over time with a little use and exposure to sunlight...

Turned out pretty good...

Turned out real good.

(I also like the black tips ;)

Thank you Sir...

(I also like the black tips ;)

:D Found a box of those today at a local reloading specialty shop.

It's one of those spots I have to stop by on a regular basis, 'cause they're always getting in some kind of rare or hard to find ammo and guns too. Figured they'd add a little character to the photos...

Gang-
I scrolled down the forum (tapatalk, on my phone) looking for some discussion on slings, but I found none.

Here's what I'm looking at. I'm working on an AR10 build (over in the "other weapons">"rifles" area), and I'm looking at slings for it. It's sure looking like its gonna top 10 pounds or more when its done.

A little on my sling experience as it is-
I found that I prefer leather 1907 type slings on my hunting rifles. I've got a couple on a set of QD swivels I pass around from one rifle to another. They seem to work well for stuff in the "sub 10 pound" range.
I have an Allen leather 1 1/4" 1907 sling dedicated for use on my Remington 513T.
I've got an 1 1/4" Turner saddlery NM 1907 pattern sling on my 700 LR (300RUM, 26" heavy barrel, B&C stock, MK4 LR/T). Its at about 14.5 lbs right now.
On my AR15s, I've got a pair of Magpul MS2 slings. They work well for those lighter rifles.

What's the best thing going for a 10+ lb AR pattern rifle these days? I'm thinking with the weight, I'd prefer a wider sling, like 1.25"-1.5". Two points only, not into the extra material on a 3 point, and not into single point slings at all.

Need to come up with rear mounting for a free float tube in the front, and a magpul CTR stock in the rear. The options out there are staggering, to say the least.

So, what are you guys running on your "heavy" rifles? Any experiences, suggestions or anecdotes to share on slings and mounting setups for such rifles?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

do you use them as shooting aids ?

do hike miles in what terrain ?

IMO padded two points need to be just so, or the pad is all over and never in the right spot using 2pt quick adjust

I know different people require different things to be comfortable but I haven't run into anything heavy enough yet that padding was a make or break deal

I hike a lot of miles with rifles.....don't think any are 10+ pounds but one is close and a regular wide 2pt from Specter Gear is all I ever needed.

I recently picked up one of the Magpul's, had QD's included, quick adjust, turns to a single point. Love it for my pistol but would be happy with it on any rifle

This is the sling I have gone to. Well this and the Ching Sling on my scout rifle and a lever gun. Everything else get a 1.25 Andy's Rhodesian sling. All day comfortable and a true shooting aid much like a Ching. http://www.andysleather.com/

On bolt actions, I do use them as shooting aids. I've never really used a sling on an AR as a shooting aid, other than just hooking it with my elbow. Never really got "slung up" in one.

Miles hiked- typically several. According to my pedometer in deer season, I lugged my 700LR 8 miles in the course of a Saturday's hunt, and it wasn't uncomfortable. I mean, it could've been lighter, but I didn't wish I would've brought a lighter rifle at any point.
Terrain covered varies. Rocky ridge lines, brushy river bottoms. Logging roads.

Sadly, its not legal to hunt with a semi-automatic in PA, but in the event that I can at some point, I'd like that kind of comfort.

On bolt actions, I do use them as shooting aids. I've never really used a sling on an AR as a shooting aid, other than just hooking it with my elbow. Never really got "slung up" in one.

Miles hiked- typically several. According to my pedometer in deer season, I lugged my 700LR 8 miles in the course of a Saturday's hunt, and it wasn't uncomfortable. I mean, it could've been lighter, but I didn't wish I would've brought a lighter rifle at any point.

Sadly, its not legal to hunt with a semi-automatic in PA, but in the event that I can at some point, I'd like that kind of comfort.

I have almost bought this a couple times on sales.....LES swears by his and if you watch the video you can see how he uses it as his aid
I use all quick adjust 2 points like this guy, around the 1:15 minute mark, it really is a rock solid method for me anyway

The sling is a good deal though as you can see the pad stays put no matter the quick adjust position, and the fact it has a nice pad and good materials at this price point is commendable imo.....the only thing is I like all metal fixtures, but thats hard to find these days and impossible under 100 bucks

Moved this thread to the slings sub-forum.

I really do like my Ares slings.

The tension helps stabilize the rifle for better accuracy when shooting from a standing position or while on the move. It also distributes the weight evenly over your shoulders so your arms aren't supporting the full weight of the rifle. Allows for more focus on the target and less on the rifle itself...

Thanks for the merge, LES.
I was on my pone when I posted my thread earlier. I scrolled down a ways on the tapatalk app, and didnt see this one. Sorry about that.

I like the quigley down under quote...

Back