• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lever Guns

Gotta love a .44 lever gun! .44 mag ammo bringing a premium price in central Indiana. If you have the capability, you might consider loading your own.
Nice pick up irregardless! Congrats!

One of many lever guns, Win. mod 94 made in 1907, 30-30

DSC04566.jpg

DSC04568.jpg

Does a Savage Model 99 .300 count? Was my Dad's, now mine. Took a beating in Hurricane Andrew and had to have it refurbished. Love carrying it through the woods...

I got this 2003 Marlin 336W for Christmas with a different scope and mount on it. I replaced the Marlin 800 series scope, Tasco rings and weaver base with a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm scope, Warne QD rings and a EGW base. For a used gun that cost $299, it's in great shape and shoots like a dream.

IMG_00051.jpg

IMG_0018-1.jpg

I ran across a pre '64 today that is in fairly good shape. Don't know precise mfg date, since I didn't think to write down the serial number. Action is smooth, no rust, furniture is good. A couple small dings in the stock, but nothing serious. Blueing has seen better days. Round barrel. Nothing fancy, just a working gun. Bore looks acceptable. It's all original (sights, steel butt plate, etc.). Didn't have a camera with me, so no pics. The man wants $525 for it. What say y'all?

I have a Marlin 336 W .30-30 and a Savage Model 11 V/T in .308. Both are good shooters. I got them for a Texas hog hunt that never materialized. Plus the fact that I wanted them. :cool: I know this is a lever gun thread. I got carried away and posted my Savage here also. If it should need to be moved, mods, please do so or let me know and I will do it. (I really don't like people handling my guns if I am not there. : )

Marlin 336W WS 3_reduced.jpg

Savage 11 vt_1.jpg

Looking for opinions. A .357/.38 rifle is on my Christmas list, this year. I'm thinking it'll probably be a lever action. The 77/357 bolt action is probably out of my price range.

I'd very much like to keep the price under $500. I'm not all that concerned with dead on accuracy, especially past 25 yards. I'm not all that concerned with appearance. My priorities are that it go bang, every time, and that it have no fails to feed.

Do you have specific recommendations? Maybe most importantly, do you know any models you think I should definitely stay away from? Thanks and take care. Tom Worthington

Look for a JM stamped Marlin 1894c. They are out there. Side eject, side feed to tube. Tried and true.
The Henry is nice, don't get me wrong, but the feeding the tube from the end and not being able to load on the fly is a deal breaker for me.
Marlin lever gun for the win.

Look for a JM stamped Marlin 1894c. They are out there. Side eject, side feed to tube. Tried and true.
The Henry is nice, don't get me wrong, but the feeding the tube from the end and not being able to load on the fly is a deal breaker for me.

Is something like that available for under $500? Take care. Tom Worthington

The JM prices have climbed, was not aware of how much. Guess I Am sitting on a gold mine.
If you had them all side by side for a shoot, in the end, you would choose the Marlin hands down.
If you are dedicated and search for a used one, you will find one at a good price.
Just found a Marlin 30as in perfect condition for $350.

I shot my new .357 Henry today and was very disappointed. Out of the box it shot worse than the Mossberg 464, and it won't feed .38 specials at all.

I tried Winchesters, Blazers, and HPRs with no luck. Single shot only with a .38 round. ;(

.357s fed better but far from smooth.
I oiled the snot out of it and cleaned it out as well as possible at the range, but this puppy needs work in the worst way.

Since it came from Davidsons I'll probably just send it back.

But first I'll call Henry & get their advice.

I'm betting there's a chip or a burr in the action which is messing up the alignment. But something could also be machined out of tolerance.

Contact Henry first. Supposedly they have great customer service.

Hold the barrel up and dry cycle the rifle a ton of times, see if that loosens things up.
Cycle the rifle hard and fast repeatedly. Could be a burr somewhere.

Sucks to hear, sorry.

I have only hard good things about Henry.

Back