• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lever Wrap Info!

That looks COOL!
I am going to give it a try with paracord on my 336C.

Nice find. I'm saving this for future reference. The process for this is very similar to serving a bowstring.

Took a couple of minutes with Paracord.
I am going to get some leather and do it over.

IMAG0294_zps105c8287.jpg

Looks good LTB, but after seeing the cord, I think leather would lay more flat - look more finished... Thanks fer sharin!

Looking good. The process is one I have known of as whipping, involving leather maybe but not that type those of you who might have other thoughts in their mind other than shooting, then again.. Any way back to the topic, in the good old days before plastic rope it was often used to bind the end of a rope when the extra thickness of splicing it was a problem. Now days it is most often seen on fishing rods to bind the guides on, at least on the hand crafted ones. If you are just wanting something for looks and not to provide protection for your fingers you might try a good fishing shop, suggest you get a few different threads and make a patten by restricting the length of each whipping to around no more than an inch or so, the finer thread and the unyielding substrate will give you big problems if you try and pull the locking thread too far. The alternative is to lose the start end under the first dozen or so wraps and then as you near the end insert a loop of some spare thread so you can pull the end back under the last dozen or so wraps. Finish with some clear finger nail polish or ask at the fishing shop for some more expensive product.

Caution; 1, fine threads need great care to make sure you do not overlap a turn, it will stick out and it is unlikely you will ever be happy with the result.

Caution; 2, unlike leather or paracord the fine threads would not be as much use as a spare boot lace or whatever in an emergency.

To add to info on whipping, it was also used on golf clubs, in the early days to help bind the separate parts together and then later as decoration. I have seen it used on gun stocks to alter the grip and even to help repair a split stock. As a way to customize your gun or rifle in an 'old school sort of way' it has a lot of scope.

If you want to use leather, try soaking it in water first, as it drys out it will shrink and fitter better.

It is a very useful skill to develop as I am sure some of you 'old salts' will remember from you early days at sea.

I used the technique at the start of the thread. I found that 550 doesn't hold to itself well enough. Not like leather anyway.

Hey guys. First time user here. I own a 464 spx. The last addition was a Richochet Roy's old west leather wrap. I got it from gunbroker.com. Before the wrap I tried to shoot with gloves, but when I reloaded the glove got stuck. The wrap comes in six colors which is nice. Black gun, black wrap. Cost a couple of dollars more because of the darker color. Way worth it. Helps to lever faster. Got some pics here. Check them out.2014-05-16 23.39.02.jpg 2014-05-16 23.47.34.jpg

Last edited:
Back