• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Licence the Person or the Machine

Had my Father pass away early this month and was going through some of his things when we came across something that might be of interest.

Many years ago we went from no real system to a license for each firearm. One of the things that dad had kept was the license he got for the .303 Brit he had. The thing that made it interesting was that he had to state where he had obtained it from. In this case his father who had brought it back from South Africa when he went over there in the very early part of the last century to met the call of empire, it is an old Long Tom but with a competition barrel that Grandfather won in 1926 at the Royal Sydney Easter Show. Also listed was "Other Users" which was myself as a 16 year old student. This system also required you to obtain a "Permit to Procurer" before you could buy anything. It did not last for long and was replaced with a system of licensing the owner and you can buy whatever your budget and class of license permits. A much easier system that enables a small degree of control over the suitability of a person to become an owner. Incidentally mention HD when applying and it is a surefire way of having your application declined.

As for the Long Tom, It is a little shot out, having served in one war and in the home guard for two others it will be on the wall very soon for a well deserved retirement.

Just thought that this might be of interest to those under threat of some sort of licensing system.

Had my Father pass away early this month and was going through some of his things when we came across something that might be of interest.

Incidentally mention HD when applying and it is a surefire way of having your application declined.

Just thought that this might be of interest to those under threat of some sort of licensing system.

First off, my condolences to you and your family...

Not everyone is a fan of Home Depot...:p

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad.

Mine past away going on 5 years ago now and it's tough. Matter of fact, I was at his grave for a while yesterday evening.

Deepest sympathies go out to you.

But also thanks for a really interesting story about that old rifle and your registration system.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, dads passing was expected and we where able to gather the whole family to be with him and look after him for those last few days, in the end he was able to move on knowing he was loved by many.

Just so you all know and do not think me ungrateful I am about to head off for two months and so will have limited access to this forum hence I may not be in a position to make any other reply for a while, the task of QC some of that good Scottish whiskey awaits. Before that however is a trip to the beaches of Normandy, and the north of France, places like Passchendaele, The Somme and Ypres, places I know are special to so many countries, I will be there come April 25, for us down here for ever to be known as ANZAC Day, for those of you, brothers across the sea in Canada I shall leave a poppy or two when we visit the last resting place of so many of your own young men.

Condolences on your father's passing.

Thank you for the story and info. Oh, enjoy your trip and that Scotch!

Back