• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

light black or gray streaks inside shotgun barrel??

i just bought a new 12 gauge maverick 88 shotgun, i got it home and looked thru the barrel and they were grayish to light black streks in barrel, i figured powder residue from factory shooting and put hoppes thru the barrel, let set a few minutes and cleaned out. when i checked the barrel there are still streaks inside, it won't come out with hoppes which is all i have and thought maybe a brush? what could this be? and what can i use? it isn't heavy inside, just lightly but runs the entire barrel length. thanks

As long as they aren't gouges in the barrel and only streaks I wouldn't worry about it.

Get yourself a 12ga brush and cleaning kit and go shoot the new gun.:D

Hoppes does a crappy job of dissolving plastic wad residue.

The stuff comes in a plastic bottle after all. :)

I wouldn't suddenly swallow my gum about the dark streaks. Maybe some Ed's Red or other plastic wad solvent will help. But don't make it your goal to have a perfectly shiny and silver bore. It's totally unnecessary.

Congrats on the new shotgun. You will definitely enjoy shooting the heck out of it. You can't wear it out. :)

Well, without being able to see the barrel, that would be at your discretion.

However, I believe the guys above were almost certainly correct that it's probably just residue though.

All of my shotguns have that.

got my new barrel today, blueing is very light and the barrel has got a brownish color to it but the inside is nice and clean, also the first barrel rib did not line up center with the receiver. the new barrel went right on and looks great and is in line. got the label so the first barrel is going back, the inside i still can't figure and i'm glad i at least installed the barrel once cause the rib out of alignment would have really bothered me. called mossberg and told them this too and i was told its rare but rib misalignment happens from time to time. the brownish color to the barrel i was told was blueing not taking as well as it should but i'm keeping it as it lines up and is clean inside. thanks

Just buff it out with a rag and some Perma-blue, until it shines the way you like it.

Back