• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Limbsaver Question

Kadelic

Hey guys, I'm new here and have some questions about my 500 and the Limbsaver I installed on it. I did a search and read through several pages of posts but didn't find anything specific to my question. I'm not sure if I should post this in one of the existing accessory threads or not.

Based on many positive reviews I ordered a #10201 prefit Limbsaver recoil pad for my Mossy 500 w/synthetic stock. The holes lined up perfect but the pad protrudes quite a bit off the bottom of the butt stock. Does anyone else have the #10201 on a basic 500 model? In the pictures I've seen the pad has the same profile of the stock it's attached too. Here's what mine looks like, any input is appreciated.

Photo%203.jpeg

And a closeup of the stock and Limbsaver

Photo%202.jpeg

WELL that is certainly not "pre fit" :lol: I would contact Limb Saver or whoever you purchased it through for a replacement butt stock and try it again... That is the safe route to go.

Well, as long as they didn't charge extra for the extra material, I'd say you did well! :lol: All kidding aside, I'd simply send them the picture you've posted along with your complaint in an e-mail. I'm sure they'll take care of the problem. I bet someone just picked up the wrong item number out of the bin when shipping your pad.

Chris

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort.”—John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) 35th President of the United States

Thanks for the link, that helped shed some light on the subject, but also some confusion. Lets see if I can break it down so it makes sense...

I ordered part #10201 and the actual part I received matches its template so I'm sure I got the part I ordered. When I ordered the pad I saw "fits Mossberg 500, etc." and just clicked BUY. I didn't see any specification of different stock sizes of 500 models. Now that I've been looking at the above link, it turns out there is a 5 3/16" stock and a 4 7/8" stock for Mossbergs. Out come the calipers and sure enough my stock is about 4 7/8" while the part installed on it is...you guessed it...the larger 5 3/16" model. Mystery solved, or so I thought.

Armed with this information I check the template for the 4 7/8" stock. I fits just right, but the holes don't line up close enough to be within 3/16" tolerance for elongating them with a Dremel tool. None of the other templates that are close in size have the holes even close to lining up.

I'm sure I could easily return this...if I could find the plastic packaging it came in. I've looked everywhere and it must have ended up in the trash somehow. DOH! Oh well, it's on there pretty good and should serve until I can track down an alternative. The only problem I can see is that the protruding material might get hung on something. I guess I could put the original pad back on but is seems pretty unforgiving compared to the Limbsaver. Seems the ATI Akita stock with it's Scorpion pad is a pretty good product, plus it's adjustable. I did try Google to find a 5 3/16" stock to replace my current one so it would fit the Limbsaver I have but didn't find anything. Live and learn. :D

I'm putting together instructions on how I installed a grindable pad for my Moss. 500.

Attachments

• Grindering Fixture 007 (448 x 600).jpg
    Grindering Fixture 007 (448 x 600).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 273
Kadelic, did you ever find a recoil pad that fits your 500? I have the exact gun you have and can't seem to find a recoil pad that fits it either?

rader2013 said:
Kadelic, did you ever find a recoil pad that fits your 500? I have the exact gun you have and can't seem to find a recoil pad that fits it either?

When I compared the template of the Limbsaver that was supposed to fit to the original butt pad it didn't line up. I gave up on the Limbsaver idea and ended up putting an ATI Akita stock on it.

I put one on my old 500 and it fit correctly. I have the smaller stock as well. No mods were needed. I don't recall the model number, though.

I took my recoil pad off last night and compared it to the template they provide and mine matched up to the Limbsaver 10201... I ordered it so we will see. I will post pictures once I gte it installed.
thanks guys.

Back