• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Limiting rod?

Picked up this used 590. Mfr date is May of 95 I think. It was only loading 5 shells so I took it apart expecting to see a wooden dowel but there was this plastic one attached to the spring. Anyone familiar w this model and is it safe to say I can remove this plastic rod? Thanks
Adam

Attachments

• 13DB0380-8FA7-4655-A626-61CF956916C3.jpeg
    13DB0380-8FA7-4655-A626-61CF956916C3.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 12
That doesn't look like your typical hunting limiting dowel which would be longer to limit mag cap to 2. It might be some kind of spring "guide" to prevent the spring from folding over/collapsing. Keeps it somewhat coiled...

You could try trimming off a half-inch at a time to see if that could help you load more? I'm sure someone else will be by to give more definitive input. :) PS: try CAREFULLY pushing the spring onto it to see how it stacks up...

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

That doesn't look like your typical hunting limiting dowel which would be longer to limit mag cap to 2. It might be some kind of spring "guide" to prevent the spring from folding over/collapsing. Keeps it somewhat coiled...

You could try trimming off a half-inch at a time to see if that could help you load more? I'm sure someone else will be by to give more definitive input. :) PS: try CAREFULLY pushing the spring onto it to see how it stacks up...

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)
Thanks!

Actually had a min today in between work calls so I called Mossberg. They said when this shotty was made, thats the way they were doing the plugs and by attaching to the spring supposedly it helped with rattling. I popped it off and am able to get 7+1 now which for this yr and set up in the proper qty for 2.75 shells. Hoping to be able to get out this weekend and try it out for the first time. Thanks again all

Back