• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Line of sight well above bbl!

Have the 20 ga Field. When I shoulder the gun my eyes r above the rib. Don't have this problem with the 12 Field Classic. Can I fix this problem? Higher rib? Shims btwn receiver & stock? The 20 came with s 24" fully rifled slug bbl & I'd think with a scope it'd fit fine. Would like to get things right with the field bbl rather than buy a 2nd gun. Any suggestions? I've read where there used to be shims you could add btwn the stock & rcvr, but I think they've been discontinued.

Cast is left or right, what you need is a drop shim to get the comb lower and your eye down on the rib. I had to use a thicker (more drop) shim on my 930 myself.

It doesn't have the Monte Carlo stock by chance does it?
No. ..plain stock. Part of the problem was I had a stock shot shell holder on it that caused me to place my cheek too far frwrd. ..took off the holder & voila, prblm dang near solved. ..still my eyes r a bit hi, but won't no if it shoots hi til I test it.

Cast is left or right, what you need is a drop shim to get the comb lower and your eye down on the rib. I had to use a thicker (more drop) shim on my 930 myself.
..would love 2 find those inexpensive drop shims, but I don't think they are available. ..could raise the bbl by adding a spacer n front of the rubber shoulder pad, but I don't wanna do that as I prefer the gun's current length. ..will run the 16 yd test on it - c if it actually shoots hi. If so I may look n2 a higher ventilated rib. ..think that'd look silly on a field gun? Heck, I bet it'd b OK as I bet it wouldn't have 2 b very high.

Back