• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Long hot summer range report

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
It's been in the hundreds and high nineties for the past month. We went anyhow, in the heat of the afternoon; and we basically had the private member's range to ourselves.

We shot the Savage chop-feed .22 semiauto rifle, the Ruger .22 caliber pistol, the .357 SAA clone, and the .357 Henry lever action rifle.

I was mostly working with the Henry today so I only kept targets for that. I've been having some trouble with the feed on the Henry rifle but I straightened out the ejector a bit and it seems to be running better. I may order a new ejector for this rifle. I think I inadvertently tweaked this one when I jammed rifle.

But it ran well enough for me to go through all my old half-boxes of .38 specials & .357 Magnum. I'd bought a lot of different stuff to try, I had a few rounds of stuff that I don't like and I was trying to basically use it up, plus use up a bunch of random targets, and test the rifle at the same time.

Range conditions were very dry with light Gusty wind from the left, and ~85°F in the shade. We were blessed with less than blazing weather! All Targets were shot at 50 yards, slow fire. I did all scope adjustments before I shot these targets.

First Target was the new 158gr Hornaday .357 ballistic polymer tipped Lever Revolution vunderthunkens.
20160709_030323.jpg
I bought a box of 25 and these little unobtanium delites cost me a buck a bullet with tax!

After some practice and scope adjustments, I put these 5 in a 2.1 inch circle.

Next Target was the 158 gr Federal American Eagle .38 special. Plain lead, round target nose. 3" pattern of 5 shots.
20160709_023248.jpg
Next was the 128 grain HPR
Flat nose Full Metal Jacket defense round. Expensive.
20160709_023330.jpg

3" pattern of 5 shots

Next the hated 110gr Winchester Super-X .357 Magnum, wad-cutters. Whitebox cheapos. 3" pattern of 3 shots plus one missing
20160709_023144.jpg

I only had three Blazers left and I shot them as well. These were 128 flat nose, Full Metal Jacket. I Flinched on the first one and then put two closer to the Bull.
20160709_023603.jpg

I know this is not very impressive shooting for 50 yards, but it was hot and windy, and I don't have a lot of time in with this gun either.

A couple of things that I did not mention:

Measuring a pattern: what's the right way?

I'm working to the center lines of all the holes. Do people measure to the outside of the holes? When I add up Target scores I go by what touches what and not by where the center lines are. I don't bother with a gauge.

I put my cheapest 9x50mm Tasco scope on this gun. It was previously on a .22 gun but the .357 doesn't kick that much for a rifle & I figured this Tasco could survive on it as well. I can't deal with iron sights, or this Cheapo scope. Something better is in its future.

Back