• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

looking at new Turkey gun

biglever

.270 WIN
Just seen a mod 500 TK 12 24 XXf
Mod #55115
Most likly will order by mid week. Unless I get any bad feed back.
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this mod.
What choke works best,
And what size shot gives the best pattern.
Thanks for any info.

Just seen a mod 500 TK 12 24 XXf
Mod #55115
Most likly will order by mid week. Unless I get any bad feed back.
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this mod.
What choke works best,
And what size shot gives the best pattern.
Thanks for any info.

Hi Biglever! The best shot I've used by far is Winchester LongBeard XR #6. I'm using the tightest extended ported choke available from Carlson's and get 170 pellets in 10" at 40 yards.

I know it isn't the same gun, but I have photos of all my patterns in the 835 choke tube thread which I'll link up here. While the gun is different, you can see the differences in the shot I've used through the same choke and you'll be able to see how just changing up ammo improved patterns to longer ranges.

Don't get sucked in to the hype of a choke tube supposedly made or designed around a type of ammo such as the Carlson's LongBeard choke tube. It's more expensive than their regular extended ported tube and didn't produce the kind of patterns they advertise.

Trulock is another I hear good things about but haven't tried personally. Their exit diameters/constrictions run very close to Carlson's numbers.

Now, a real sleeper that doesn't get a ton of hype and isn't really expensive is the TruGlo strut stopper extreme. I don't know they make that exact model anymore but they can still be found on eBay and some online places may still have some in stock. The newer model which replaced that one has the same exit diameter I believe but couldn't guarantee that.

For the Mossberg 500 you'll be looking for chokes labeled as Invector or accuchoke or Winchester if it doesn't expressly say Mossberg or M500.

You're welcome.

That gun looks really nice, it has the sights I like (I think) and I like the barrel length and the length of pull. I'm curious as to what the exit diameter of that choke is.

My experience with the factory XXFull choke in the 835 is that is was far from tight enough. If that choke is in the area of .660 I'd say its too open, but there's nothing wrong with patterning first.

By all means, get a hold of me for anything else that comes up, I'm interested in how things go for you!

I will be trying a lot of diff shot size's and chokes. Don't need a long range Turkey gun , but I want to know what I have and what I can exspect.

I will be trying a lot of diff shot size's and chokes. Don't need a long range Turkey gun , but I want to know what I have and what I can exspect.

What do you expect your longest shot to be?

At 35 yards, I still like the Winchester LongBeard but Gould go to a #5 and with the right choke still put 100+ pellets in 10". Something like the TruGlo or the Carlson's will do it. I would expect around 130 pellets.

I have a couple chokes from guns I no longer have
.One is a promos tight wad.
Its suppose to be .660
And the other is a truglo., i sent that with my Ithaca barrel to be taped . don't no the size.
I learned a wile back to Mic all the chokes .you can't beleave what the package has stamped on it. Or. The choke.

I mention the .660 being to open, I could be wrong on that. But the predator guys using standard 12 bores (not the over bored 835) use the .660 as a baseline for predator loads like 4 buck down to heavy weight BB and B loads. That's why I was thinking it could be too open. It may work for you if you're not looking for a long shot.

Well takeing my Turkey thug's
Out for my first hunt, I have to say , I think this is going to be a very long relationship.
I love the light weight of this 500. And the shorter barrel.
The extra green camo is perfect
For spring t

Another thing I like is the adjustability of the trigger.
I didn't think I needed that on my shotgun. But it works so nice, with no creep.

What is the barrel length? Mine is a 20" which I love.

I have the adjustable trigger too and I've not adjusted it. Mine has just a little creep in it, just enough to notice if you're taking your time.

Back