• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking for a new 12ga

Dave_1

.22LR
I'm interested in getting a 590A1, but not sure which. I am trying to decide between the 590A1, 590A1 SPX or 590A1 Blackwater Series. I really like the Blackwater series, but not the forend or the Blackwater series stamp. I especially wanted the Blackwater top rail and XS sights (along with the same kind of front sight).

I ran across the Magpul series which I don't care for, but I noticed the 590A1 Magpul Series 9-shot is pretty much the Blackwater series with Magpul hardware.

What I am thinking about is getting the 590A1 Magpul Series 9-shot & replacing the stock & forend with either the standard 590A1 components, or the Hogue 590 stock & forend.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=34

First, is the trigger guard, safety & action lock lever on the Magpul series plastic, or metal like on all the other 590A1's I've seen? Second, are there any nasty surprises I am heading for if I do this?

Any other options I am missing to put together a shotgun like this?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Welcome Dave,

I wouldn't pay the money for the magpul version if you're not going to use the stock set. Sounds to me that the 590A1 SPX (#50771) is your best bet. The sights on the SPX and Blackwater are very similar... and the SPX is actually a little more adjustable. I mean your best bet would just be a plain 590A1 with ghost ring sights #51663 (if that's what you're looking for)... it'll be the closest you want for the least amount of $$$... other than going with a plain bead.

Only the 590A1 has the alloy trigger guard and metal safety, all others (including the 590 Special Purpose) have a polymer trigger guard and safety. The action lock bar/lever is always metal. But in all reality, the polymer trigger guard will serve you well for a lifetime. Hope that helps a little!

Thanks guys.

I agree, the plain 590A1 would be the cheapest way to go, and I may end up having to go that way. Money isn't really an issue on this and I don't mind paying a bit extra to get exactly what I want. Is there any way that you know of to get the blackwater style of rail / XS ghost ring sights and front sight without buying a blackwater version? I can only find the XS ghost ring sights on the blackwater and the Magpul series. Also, I really wanted an 18.5 inch version, but it seems that the the XS ghost ring sights are only available on the 20". On the Magpul version, the XS ghost ring sights go away when selecting the 6-shot 18.5" barrel.

Also, you said the metal trigger guard & safety are only available on the 590A1. Does this include the 590A1 Magpul version?

Back