• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking to get a 500. Some questions.

Hey everyone,

I went into my local Walmart a few days ago, and saw that they are selling the 500 with vent rib and ported field barrel for $259. Is this a good deal? There are no gun stores around here, so I am not sure about pricing; they seem to run a bit higher than that online. I have a Westernfield (store brand made by Mossberg) 12ga from the 70's that my father gave me with an 18.5" security barrel I purchased about 6 months ago, but I am looking to pick up another gun and put my fathers gun away in a safe place. This leads to my second question.

What would I be able to get for the barrel that comes with it? I believe it also comes with a choke set that I will not be needing since I plan on installing the security barrel; I will also likely be replacing the stock are forend as well, which are wood; would I be able to sell those?

Thanks for the help guys. Will be posting a separate thread with the Westernfield if anyone wants to check it out :)

Willisms said:
Hey everyone,

I went into my local Walmart a few days ago, and saw that they are selling the 500 with vent rib and ported field barrel for $259. Is this a good deal? There are no gun stores around here, so I am not sure about pricing; they seem to run a bit higher than that online. I have a Westernfield (store brand made by Mossberg) 12ga from the 70's that my father gave me with an 18.5" security barrel I purchased about 6 months ago, but I am looking to pick up another gun and put my fathers gun away in a safe place. This leads to my second question.

What would I be able to get for the barrel that comes with it? I believe it also comes with a choke set that I will not be needing since I plan on installing the security barrel; I will also likely be replacing the stock are forend as well, which are wood; would I be able to sell those?

Thanks for the help guys. Will be posting a separate thread with the Westernfield if anyone wants to check it out :)

$259. sounds ok for that 500. The good part about buying it in a store is you get to inspect it before buying it.

Sounds like you have a nice little Mossberg colection starting.

As far as selling the wood furniture,should be no problem once you reach the rules requirements of 30 posts.

Love to see some pics of the old Westerfield. :D

There is a 500 sub forum just for older 500 class Mossy's

Thanks for the reply! I just posted the pics in this same forum section. Sorry about that, I didn't realize there was a sub-forum; still learning my way around.

Willisms said:
Thanks for the reply! I just posted the pics in this same forum section. Sorry about that, I didn't realize there was a sub-forum; still learning my way around.

No need to apologize. :) Good lookin' shotty!

Back