• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

LOP on changing stocks

As I've learned in reading many other posts and articles, the LOP for the OEM stock on the 590 is inordinately long. Many attempt to modify with saws, etc., while others purchase new stocks from different sources. In my case, I went with the MagPul SGA stock for a couple of reasons. As a note of interest -- if you switch to a MagPul SGA stock, but for some reason want to retain the LOP from the OEM stock, you are going to have to add 4 of the MagPul spacers. Even with that, you still will be a bit shy.

In trying to obtain the same "feel" as the shotgun I was raised with (my old LC Smith 20 ga.). I decided to research how to gauge the proper LOP, and came across this article, which I think is pretty good, at least for an average shooter.

I found that by using the rule of thumb (no pun intended) of:

There should be a one to one and half inch gap or two finger widths of space between your nose and thumb.
LOP_Shotgun_2.jpg

I was closer to the "starting point" (as described above) by using only two of the spacers on the MagPul SGA.

As I just made this change of cutting back to two spacers (where I've been using four for awhile), I am going to have to see how it feels at the range and whether or not it effects my accuracy. But, I now have approx. the same LOP (13") as on my LC Smith.

Disclaimer:
The above general starting point is for the average shooter, which certainly includes me, not the High-end shotgunners. The full article explains in much more detail and many may find a completely different setting to be the "right" one.

I know I am pretty much "preaching to the choir" here, but some, especially those who may be new to shotgunning, may find this useful.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/length-pull-matter/

Last edited:
Back