• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

lubing my new plinkster

Do you have the manual? It will help somewhat: http://www.mossberg.com/manuals/702%20715%20Rev%20E.pdf
See pages 14-17.
Basically metal on metal moving parts should get the most attention - those in the trigger housing and bolt. The feed ramp is an area to CLEAN well. Use care cleaning the barrel as you have to do it from the front - inserting the rod at the crown.

There's not much to it really. You have probably discovered that reassembly can be a bit tricky. The manual is some help. Once you've done it a few times it becomes second nature.

What ive been doing lately i got from the range master at my local range. Wrap a cleaning patch around the bore brush. Put your cleaner on the patch and run it a few times threw the bore. It works kinda like a bore snake where the brush scrubs and the clotch catches everything the brush scrubs off.

After that run a clean patch threw then one with your lube. I lube my bore so that it doesnt rust

Then on the inside like mingaa said any where metal on metal rubs. The bottom of the bolt where the bole moves back over the hammer to cock it back. All along the bottom of the bolt.

Wipe the top of the trigger housing this is where the bolt rides, there are 2 little slots on both sides of the bolt. One is a guide the plate just above the mag well keeps the bolt square oil that slot and the plate. Then on the other side there is a little slot where the extractor is. There is a little spring on the end of the extractor (looks like a little hook on the bolt) spray and oil that little slot then push the end oposite of the hook (this is where the spring is) this little hook thing helps pull the shell away and throw it out the side.

Clean the magazine also, dont forget about the magazine! The magazine is just as important as anything else in the gun and its often overlooked because its removed during cleaning.

If you notice the magazine is right where all the action happens. Fouling falls right into the little gaps and spaces and needs cleaned also. Clean and oil the spring, run a patch or paper towel threw the mag well, oil the fallower

Another thing i clean and oil is the pin and the spring on the back of the bolt

Do you have the manual? It will help somewhat: http://www.mossberg.com/manuals/702 715 Rev E.pdf
See pages 14-17.
Basically metal on metal moving parts should get the most attention - those in the trigger housing and bolt. The feed ramp is an area to CLEAN well. Use care cleaning the barrel as you have to do it from the front - inserting the rod at the crown.

There's not much to it really. You have probably discovered that reassembly can be a bit tricky. The manual is some help. Once you've done it a few times it becomes second nature.

Can a 'Bore Snake' be used to clean the barrel in place of a cleaning rod?
My thought here is, "I can load the snake from the breach end of the barrel". Your thoughts?

Of course a bore snake can clean the bore of a .22 rifle.

Not in one pass, mind you, but it'll work great.

I made a variation of a pull-thru bore snake years ago with a length of .095" of string trimmer line. I heated and flattened one end to about .20-caliber and it hardened when it cooled. Then on the other end I sharpened a point. A patch gets pushed onto the point and slid down the line. Dip it in solvent and pull it thru. I have found it a rare occasion when I need a bore brush in a .22 rimfire.

My thought is why fight with a bore rod? A 'Snake' is safer. It gets loaded from the breach end. No chance to nick the front of the barrel. All the nastey stuff is pushed OUT of the breach and not into the breach (like what would happen if you stuffed a cleaning rod in from the buisness side (front) of the barrel.

I fire mine dry only one patch through the bore wet oil then a dry one.also exterior gets coated with oil then wiped dry. after I got mine 702 took it apart soaked all in hoppes 9 blew the whole shebang out with an air compressor and put back together have been happy ever since not one mal in 500 rounds of everything I can think to put through her.Jim

Back