• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M1 Garand

Re: Buying M1 Garands, The Civilian Marksmanship Program

CMP is a good program. I believe you are at their mercy on condition of the weapon though, however, I have heard no complaints. I read somewhere the latest batch of Garands were being sold by the South Koreans back to the CMP in order to purchase Daewoos for the ROK Army. These are supposed to be Korean War era weapons. I will look for the report I read and post it up.

Guess this thread's been dead for a little bit, but has anyone ordered from CMP lately? I was a real idiot for selling the first Garand I ordered from CMP two years ago... which took less then a month to be delivered to my door. I just sent in another order for an HRA Service grade and hope it gets in before they're all gone. Has anyone ordered one recently? I'm ok with waiting a few month, I just hope they set aside a number for me once they get my paperwork! Anxiously awaiting my order confirmation email!

Yup... pretty much 3 months after my last post there I received this 1950's HRA M1 Garand in the the mail :D While she doesn't carry as much history as the last Garand I owned, I'm certainly not disappointed with it either... still a piece of History that would stop an intruder :shock: or put meat on the table if and when I asked it of her!

DSC_0511.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

This one was shipped with one of the new "Pumpkin" CMP Birch stocks that really does not do the rifle justice at all! So I did a quick sand and stain for the time being until I get the $$ and order a replacement Walnut stock set from Boyds. Muzzle reading was +1, Throat was -2... with excellent parkerizing all around. I won't make the same mistake twice, this one is staying no doubt!

tcecil88 said:
CMP is a good program. I believe you are at their mercy on condition of the weapon though, however, I have heard no complaints. I read somewhere the latest batch of Garands were being sold by the South Koreans back to the CMP in order to purchase Daewoos for the ROK Army. These are supposed to be Korean War era weapons. I will look for the report I read and post it up.

Mine was a Korean import after WWII, it has a build date of Aug. '43 IIRC

6254951808_5535887e2c_b.jpg

GIS says it could say "Peoples Army"

Here is another sign of a Korean Garand.

6118118733_a693755ec9_b.jpg

At the left of the pic is a circle, it's actually what some call a spoked wheel, that is a Korean stamping for whichever MFG.
Needless to say many of the Korean Garands are in sad shape, especially the metal parts, be sure to inspect very well if you see any of the markings.

aksavanaman said:
Yup... pretty much 3 months after my last post there I received this 1950's HRA M1 Garand in the the mail :D While she doesn't carry as much history as the last Garand I owned, I'm certainly not disappointed with it either... still a piece of History that would stop an intruder :shock: or put meat on the table if and when I asked it of her!

DSC_0511.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

This one was shipped with one of the new "Pumpkin" CMP Birch stocks that really does not do the rifle justice at all! So I did a quick sand and stain for the time being until I get the $$ and order a replacement Walnut stock set from Boyds. Muzzle reading was +1, Throat was -2... with excellent parkerizing all around. I won't make the same mistake twice, this one is staying no doubt!

Beautiful!
I really like the wood on that. :geek:

[quote="VitSports6]

At the left of the pic is a circle, it's actually what some call a spoked wheel, that is a Korean stamping for whichever MFG.
Needless to say many of the Korean Garands are in sad shape, especially the metal parts, be sure to inspect very well if you see any of the markings.[/quote]

Mine is a service grade with everything being of HRA origin...except for the trigger group which is Springfield. I couldn't be more pleased... the metal on this Granand is outstanding! Thanks for the compliments guys!

I noticed the other day that the stain on the birch had lightened a bit... leaving the imperfections to really pop out. So I proceeded to sand the stock down again and use a conditioner first... but as I got down to bare wood I noticed that those imperfections in the birch weren't going away...soooo what to do???

....You order a new walnut stock set from Boyds :D Should be here next week... pics to follow!

interested in seelling the stock you are replacing?
i assume its the one in the pics above..

let me know if yes and what the price might be

And here's the new walnut stock... money well spent IMO :D She feels right now as well, the birch seemed a little light... and the walnut is just the right density! Now for fixn' the op rod :evil:

AK, I love that you appreciate the M1 Garand and that you have had some beautiful specimens.

The steel and walnut M1 GARAND service rifle is like no other, and I'm real proud for you that you've known the pride of owning some. You ROCK Sir.

PING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, she has turned out quite nice... glad you folks appreciate it as much as I do :D

nitesite said:
AK, I love that you appreciate the M1 Garand and that you have had some beautiful specimens.

The steel and walnut M1 GARAND service rifle is like no other, and I'm real proud for you that you've known the pride of owning some. You ROCK Sir.

PING!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're thinking I've got two, but I've only have one currently. The first CMP Garand I owned I actually sold to a neighbor of mine who later presented it to his Grandfather on his birthday. His grandson showed me pictures of him serving with the Army here in Alaska during the Aleutian Campaign of WWII. I was so interested in the story (mainly because so few know about WWII and Alaska) that I forgot I was selling it to him. Moral is.... I know it at least went to a good home!... and obviously I had to have another one :lol:

As you said nitesite, there really is just something about a full wood and steel rifle, especially one with such history. I love my AR15.... but there's just something about the M1 (and the Mosin as well for that matter) that carries a little more weight, so to speak, that connects you to history and all those that held that rifle before you. I think more American's should make such a connection, it might just open their eyes a bit to what sacrifices were made for their freedoms.

...Sorry didn't mean to make this philosophical, I just really appreciate my pieces of history!

A lot of people do not know that there were very many (hundreds of thousands if not more) Mosin Nagants that were made right here in the U.S. from several different well known companies. Remington, US Westinghouse, etc.

But to me, the Garand is my preference 10 to 1. I would really love to own one. I just can't afford the price tag.

My Dad had a friend many years back that brought a really nice Garand to me to appraise for him when I had my gun store. He dropped it off and left it with me for over a year without so much as a phone call or anything. I finally just took it back to my Dad and asked him to give it back to him because I didn't know what to think of the guy. A little later, I heard that the gentlemen past away. But that's OK, my conscience is clear about it.

I did however own a 1960's something Thompson M1A1 that I foolishly sold that I liked really well too. But that was also before their $1000 price tag, so I don't think I'll ever have another of them either unless one just falls into my lap under the right conditions. They are still a really great subgun though. I would pick one for personal use over an MP5 or even an Uzi if that tells you anything. They are in the top two of my favorite subguns of all time. I like my guns built like tanks, and the Tommy's don't disappoint.

John A. said:
I would really love to own one. I just can't afford the price tag.

CMP man... I paid $650 delivered to my doorstep for a Service Grade. If you're up for the 90 day wait to get one, It's absolutely worth it!

There are so many rules for the program, it is not feasible for me.

I don't belong to any gun groups or clubs that I am aware of.

I do not have a public (or even private) recognized range within reasonable driving distance to prove that I am safe and know what I am doing. I don't participate in official matches for that very reason.

And even including hunter safety courses because I was grandfathered in to that although I have been through the class taking my oldest son through it, I was not a registered participant.

Ironic that I could qualify as an expert witness and wealth of knowledge of firearms and ballistics in court despite the fact that I have no affiliation with any groups.

John A. said:
There are so many rules for the program, it is not feasible for me.

I don't belong to any gun groups or clubs that I am aware of.

I do not have a public (or even private) recognized range within reasonable driving distance to prove that I am safe and know what I am doing. I don't participate in official matches for that very reason.

And even including hunter safety courses because I was grandfathered in to that although I have been through the class taking my oldest son through it, I was not a registered participant.

Ironic that I could qualify as an expert witness and wealth of knowledge of firearms and ballistics in court despite the fact that I have no affiliation with any groups.
I went with the 03-FFL, it's a Curio and Relic license, it took about 3 months going through the propper channels, but it allows me to purchase other C&R firearms and have them shipped to my house, you also get a dealer discount through many firearm shops, like Midwat, AIM, etc.
Best of luck all!

Back