• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M249 barrel bag

sixbennetts

.270 WIN
Well, I was trying to find a case or bag I liked for my Shockwave. I bought 2 different take-down shotgun cases off ebay thinking one of them would work. Being on mil disability means buying cheap and hoping for the best. That didn't work out so well, as the stitching on both was rotten. Luckily, they were cheap.

PicsArt_03-07-03.09.42.jpg
PicsArt_03-07-03.08.19.jpg

I really wanted the 2nd one to work out because of that shotshell pouch, but the threads were bad, and the leather was so dried out, it was cracking. Lesson learned.

Then, I remembered something from my past, a barrel bag! Found one on ebay for $19 brand new! They can be found all over as "M249 barrel bag". Some sellers ask as much as $90, but don't pay that. They come in different camo patterns, tan, and this one, coyote. Here's the one I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/141579431821

VERY, VERY sturdy heavy duck canvas. Kinda rolls up and closes with 3 quick release buckles. Nice soft interior. Small accessories pouch. Rugged handle. Some can even be found with a shoulder strap.

Now, I should say, it's TIGHT. I mean you really gotta jam the Shockwave into it at first.

DON'T BE DISAPPOINTED! IT WILL FIT!

A Carhartt jacket gets looser and softer over time. So will this. Or, you can soak it in white vinegar and water in your washer overnight if you want it looser. But if you put it in muzzle first, and stretch it over the raptor grip, and leave it a while, it fits better and better.

The small pouch will hold cleaning supplies, tools, or shotshells. It is NOT gusseted, it's just a flat pouch. But handy for your cleaning supplies.

One thing I love about it is it has it's own gun mat! When you unroll it on the kitchen table, the big flat area makes a great gun rug to work on or clean it. If you're anything like me, you tinker. This flat flap makes it really handy. No more searching for a towel or rag to lay down so you can see smaller parts.

And obviously, you can put your Shockwave away red hot if you have to. The lining is good up to °1800! The outside is waterproof, too.

Best $20 I ever spent. The thought of picking up a scabbard wrong and having the Shockwave go clattering across the parking lot didn't appeal to me, because I'm clumsy.

If a scabbard could fail, it would for me!

PicsArt_03-07-02.53.00.jpg

I would've preferred a used coyote colored one. It would have gone well with the beat-up Shockwave. The only used ones were pretty ripped up.

It drives the Mrs crazy, but I have boxes upon boxes of stuff in the basement just waiting to be repurposed! Guess it's the yankee in me!

sixbennetts: Thanks for the heads up on the M249 spare barrel bags! I ordered two of those M249 spare barrel bags three days ago via the ebay link that you posted and they arrived today; they are an amazing value for the $19 and are perfect for the Mossberg Shockwave. Thanks.

Not a problem, glad I could give back!

It'll take a while to get it stretched out to the point the stock Shockwave slides in and out, but it's a nice tight fit when it does. You can find them with the shoulder sling for carrying for a little more, but I didn't need one.

Having a gun rug right there when you open it is sa-weet!

God help me, I DO love a bargain!

Back