• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M590A1 Home Defense Test

I live in an apartment so I figure the maximum distance I'd engage an intruder at would be about twenty feet.

Went out to the range today and loaded Winchester Ranger with 12 gauge nine 00 buckshot

Here's the pattern at 20 feet.

All nine buck hit within a three inch circle at 20 feet.

The wads landed a bit left - but who cares.

Very pleased with these results.

Good for you getting out there and running this exercise!

Knowing how your weapon performs with your choice of ammo at a given distance is invaluable. Looks like your 'A1 likes that Win. Ranger 00...

:shock:I have a pretty good feeling if that impacted anywhere on an intruder it's sure to end the little situation at hand.

I hit the range a couple of weeks ago with my M500 and also had good results with the Ranger ammo, although it was the 8 pellet version. The range near me doesn't allow closer than 25 yds but at that distance all eight pellets were on target. MUCH better than the cheap Rio ammo I buy in bulk for practice. I've also tested Fiocchi, Remington, and Federal (non-FliteControl) at 25 yds but the Ranger seemed to perform the best in my shotty. Not the cheapest ammo but not the most expensive either. For now I'm going with Ranger as my primary HD ammo.

I recently picked up some Federal FliteControl but haven't tested it yet. I imagine that will outperform the Ranger, but do I really want as tight of a pattern as I'm expecting it'll give? (Probably a topic for another thread.)

Riverkilt said:
I live in an apartment so I figure the maximum distance I'd engage an intruder at would be about twenty feet.

Went out to the range today and loaded Winchester Ranger with 12 gauge nine 00 buckshot

Here's the pattern at 20 feet.

All nine buck hit within a three inch circle at 20 feet.

The wads landed a bit left - but who cares.

Very pleased with these results.

Nice pattern. Have you practiced in various positions/from cover and/or in the dark, and combat reloading (just my particular itch :) )?

Back