• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M9 Bayonet Mounting Problem

Dave_1

.22LR
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem. I got my Ontario M9 bayonet tonight & tried to mount it on my 590A1, but it won't snap on. The best I can tell, the only thing holding it up is the handle hitting the magazine tube support. As you can see in the second picture, I can't even line the knife up with the cap to press it on down. I really don't want to start whittling on the knife handle. It fits so nice on my AR-15.

P1010050.JPG

P1010051.JPG

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

I knew about the issue of "length". That seems to be good, as best as I can measure. The problem I seem to be having is with the handle is in the way of the hitting the magazine tube support. I just realized my picture looks like the issue everyone else has been having, but in my picture, the bayonet is not mounted completely. Here's a picture from a little farther away. I believe if the handle was not in the way, the bayonet would be about the right length, but with the handle pushing against the magazine tube support, I can't line it up to seat it.

Attachments

• P1010052.JPG
    P1010052.JPG
    849.2 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Shooter-

Mine is actually an Ontario M9. It says M9 on the blade. I ordered black, but they sent green :( I'm returning it for a black one. Did you have any issues putting yours on? The handle of mine hits & I can't line it up to seat it the last 1/8" or so. Did you have to whittle down the handle any to get it to fit, or did it fit straight out of the box?

Dave
I understand your issue completely. You are correct -- the M9 you have should fit fine IF the back of the bayonet would seat properly onto the LUG. Your picture shows a gap at the lug which appears to be an 1/8". That is the same amount of distance you need for the bayonet to move back to fit the mag cap.

From your picture I cannot see anything that is binding, so my only conclusion is that there is something faulty with the bayonet latch itself. It is not opening wide enough to clear the tabs that stick on both sides of the lug mounted on your gun.

You said you were returning the bayonet because they sent the wrong color handle. Hopefully when you get your replacement, all will be well.

Last edited:
On playing around with mine, I am convinced that your spring-loaded latch (the center plate when you examine the back of the bayonet from the side) is not opening far enough to clear the two tabs on the lug. Perhaps all you need to do is to force it a bit. Being brand new, it just might need some manipulation. You can also try holding the spring-loaded latch open, by squeezing it with your thumb and finger while you put pressure on the bayonet to seat.

When all is well, you'll hear the distinctive "click" when the latch snaps back in place.

The bayonet seems to fit perfectly on my AR-15, although I did need to squeeze in the tabs on the side as I pushed down, but it clicked firmly in place. Using a set of calipers, every dimension I checked on the AR seemed to be exactly the same on the 590A1, so to me, it looks like the lug is correct. I am assuming the bayonet latch is correct since it fits on the AR. To me, it seems the problem is the bayonet handle in the way not letting me move the bayonet back enough to line it up with the magazine cap. I think if I could do that it would be able to seat properly. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had to shave off part of the handle. The attached pic shows where I think the problem is, but you may need to zoom in to see it. In any case, that bayonet has been returned. Hopefully the black one will fit better when I get it!

P1010052.JPG

Yes, I noticed that closeness before (where your two arrows are). My OKC3S is similar, and I actually did shave the first two parts of its handle. (As the two bayonets are a bit different, yours is the 2nd and 3rd part of the handle.) However, before shaving it, that did not prevent me from seating the bayonet - it only made it easier to do so after.

But, in looking once again at this picture ........

index.php

I think the handle binding at the two arrows is causing an offset at the mag cap, which is also putting stress on the bayonet latch -- which maybe is actually preventing the latch to clear the tabs on the lug. IOW, the whole alignment is not linear and under stress. As the M9 is the recommended bayonet for the 590s, you have a good chance of getting this resolved with your replacement bayonet when it comes. However, if you DO end up having to shave a bit off the handle -- it only hurts for a little while. o_O

Thanks Shooter-

Mine is actually an Ontario M9. It says M9 on the blade. I ordered black, but they sent green :( I'm returning it for a black one. Did you have any issues putting yours on? The handle of mine hits & I can't line it up to seat it the last 1/8" or so. Did you have to whittle down the handle any to get it to fit, or did it fit straight out of the box?

No issues with my M9 fitting Dave.

Hopefully your replacement will fit better !!

I remember reading about this issue. The Ontario bayonets are too long to fit. This can be fixed by one of two ways. A quick fix is finding a washer to put the end of your tube before putting on the end cap. This makes for the end cap to stick out by about and eight of an inch or so. I do not remember where I was that picture. If I find it I will take it and post it here. Another way to solve this issue is go with another brand of Bayonet, but since you already have a bayonet it would be more costly.

Back