• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Made an FBI Q-Target shootin' Steel today

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
It's pathetic. I don't weld. I can barely melt butter. But in spite of that I bought some fabricated/welded steel braces and some 14"x38" steel plate and started measuring and drilling so I could use some Grade 8 bolt hardware. I broke a drill bit on the fourth hole, so only three bolts are in for now. This is a prototype so if anybody has suggestions I would LOVE to hear your comments.

I fired fourteen 9mm rounds at it just for kicks. Fun.

Last edited:
3 bolts should hold it just fine.

Nice tight group too.

Least yours turned out better than mine did. Mine was quite embarrassing to begin with. I didn't really expect that much swing.

I just had to post it.

Good question, L.E.S.~

The bracket bases were welded vertical so the plate is vertical as well.

I wish I could weld, but I don't know the first thing.

I guess that the bases can be placed on a board or on sloped ground to impart a forward (downward) angle.

I can't claim to be any sort of welder either. My forte has always been more along the lines of demolition. :confused:

If you can work it out so that it's stable, I'd give it a go and see what you think. We've had the steel running at the new range for about a year and a half now and have had to replace almost all of the plates that were set on 90 degree bases. The forward angle makes the plates last much longer and also helps control the splatter by deflecting it into the ground at the target base...

Here's one a buddy who's into fabricating with steel made me...breaks down for easy transport and it's easy to setup on site and configure with different height options and plate shapes/sizes:

Got a few of these free standers made to hang on the tree too...

Back