• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mag Tube Removal help

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
I'm trying to remove the mag tube on my mav and thus far all I've managed to do is scratch it up...
What are y'all using to melt the thread locker? I used a lighter, and even a gas grill. I put a pair of vise grips on it and it wouldn't budge. I tried to use a rag between the teeth but still f'd up the tube a little?
Are y'all just heating to where you can see the threads or are you heating where it says made in Texas too?
What am I doing wrong? Sucks I scratched up my gun for a $25 part..

Nevermind, I got it. I wasn't spinning it off from the end of the tube. I was gripping it down by the receiver, Doh... Once I put the wrench in the right place it was easy.
Now I guess I have some scratches to try and mend. Has anyone ever used one of those bluiing pens?

Attachments

• IMG_2112.JPG
    IMG_2112.JPG
    925.9 KB · Views: 8
I recently tried removing mine to replace the follower, all I managed to do is leave teeth marks on the tube from my vice grips......I used automotive sand paper and smoothed out the bite marks. I ended up taking a small diameter dow rod (flexable) and ran some cleaning solvent and lube down the mag tube and called it a day!

I recently tried removing mine to replace the follower, all I managed to do is leave teeth marks on the tube from my vice grips......I used automotive sand paper and smoothed out the bite marks. I ended up taking a small diameter dow rod (flexable) and ran some cleaning solvent and lube down the mag tube and called it a day!
I did the same but not only did I scratch it,I'm pretty sure I managed to put a kink in it. All for a stupid mag follower.. A new tube is $45'ish so at the end of the day I'll have an $80 mag follower. It'd better be good.

It ws posted in other thread. You need to strip down to bare reciever and heat tube over stove to loosen loc tite. Mine only to about 30 seconds and it came off with no resistance. Some have needed longer time. You will see light puff of wh at looks like smoke and that should be loc tite releasing.

I constantly rotated an d tried every few seconds.

Reciever will not get hot enough to damage finish.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back