• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

magazine follower visual modification

Mudbug

232323232%7Ffp73486%3Enu%3D45%3C%3A%3E664%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3636%3C633%3B934%3Bnu0mrj
232323232%7Ffp73494%3Enu%3D45%3C%3A%3E664%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3636%3C633%3B434%3Bnu0mrj
232323232%7Ffp543%3C9%3Enu%3D45%3C%3A%3E664%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3636%3C633%3A734%3Bnu0mrj
I used acrylic fingernail polish, same color as my front sight on my Ghost Ring group. Gonna let it dry till I get home from work on the morrow. Do ya'll think it will wear well?

Nice work.

I've used acrylic fingernail polish on some of my wife's AR parts and it's held up fine, but the painted parts aren't under contact or stress. It might do ok, just keep your eyes on it...

I have my doubts. Thinking about buying a vang comp or GG & G replacement follower anyway. Leaning toward the GG & G. What do ya think?

I run factory followers, so I can't offer much in the way of opinions. From what I've read about your two options though, you can't go wrong with either one...

I think the finger nail polish will flake and come off soon because of contact with the shells. It is useful in some places though. Years ago I needed to ID some magazines since a buddy of mine had the same stuff and we frequently went out together. I "stole" :shock: some of my daughters red nail polish, IPA'd, and marked about .3" of the bottom of the mag spine. It's still there today since there is no contact. Very helpful when you have 15 - 20 30rd mags laying around on the tailgate.

It also works on sights for those firearms you don't want to, or can't, replace the sights. Clean off with acetone.

Think of all the colors. They probably have luminescent now. Cheap too! :cool:

Mudbug said:
I have my doubts. Thinking about buying a vang comp or GG & G replacement follower anyway. Leaning toward the GG & G. What do ya think?

Both are good followers, I would take a look at SJ hard wares mossberg followers before making a decision.

I just replaced my factory follower with a GG&G manufactured from solid billet, finished to Mil-Spec, end is bright red for easy visual inspection of empty tube, took all of 5 mins. I got mine from www.gggaz.com for $26 plus shipping.

Bass Slayer72 said:
I just replaced my factory follower with a GG&G manufactured from solid billet, finished to Mil-Spec, end is bright red for easy visual inspection of empty tube, took all of 5 mins. I got mine from http://www.gggaz.com for $26 plus shipping.

I've got an ETA delrin magazine follower ordered.

Though my factory Mossberg magazine follower has worked just fine so far, delrin is a very slippery plastic. For $12.00 I figured that I'd try it, because it's also a highly visible, very slippery plastic. :cool:

Duane

Duane said:
Bass Slayer72 said:
I just replaced my factory follower with a GG&G manufactured from solid billet, finished to Mil-Spec, end is bright red for easy visual inspection of empty tube, took all of 5 mins. I got mine from http://www.gggaz.com for $26 plus shipping.

Though my factory Mossberg magazine follower has worked just fine so far, delrin is a very slippery plastic. For $12.00 I figured that I'd try it, because it's also a highly visible, very slippery plastic. :cool:

Duane

http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-shotgun-follower.html

Jason: Duane, the price is right so can’t hurt to try, my only question is does the plastic being very slippery hinder the loading process, or does it have no effect? Just curious I’ve never heard of that brand. I liked the GG&G because it is not plastic, I wasn’t sure how it long it’s life expectancy would be, and the GG&G is,” manufactured from stainless steel for corrosion and wear resistance. The stainless steel body provides smooth operation and resists galling and contaminants imbedding into the body of the follower. The high visibility red insert is aluminum and is manufactured so that you cannot only quickly see that the magazine tube is empty, but in low light conditions, feel the difference between the face of the follower and the rear of a shotgun shell. The follower is manufactured with a deep spring pocket to better control spring movement”(from GG&G website)

Bass Slayer72 said:
Duane said:
Bass Slayer72 said:

Duane

http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-shotgun-follower.html

Jason: Duane, the price is right so can’t hurt to try, my only question is does the plastic being very slippery hinder the loading process, or does it have no effect? Just curious I’ve never heard of that brand. I liked the GG&G because it is not plastic, I wasn’t sure how it long it’s life expectancy would be, and the GG&G is,” manufactured from stainless steel for corrosion and wear resistance. The stainless steel body provides smooth operation and resists galling and contaminants imbedding into the body of the follower. The high visibility red insert is aluminum and is manufactured so that you cannot only quickly see that the magazine tube is empty, but in low light conditions, feel the difference between the face of the follower and the rear of a shotgun shell. The follower is manufactured with a deep spring pocket to better control spring movement”(from GG&G website)

Bass,

I guess that you are not familiar with Delrin. Yeah, it is a plastic, but not a Mattel toys kind of plastic. :eek:
It is an industrial grade plastic that was developed for use on machines, as a replacement for metal bushings.
I'm sure the aluminum GG&G follower is a fine product.

However, I also expect that the ETA delrin magazine follower will also be a fine product. It also has a little nub on it's face, so you can "feel" the difference between it and a shell, without having to look.

I'll let you know what I think of it after I've tried it.

We're here to share ideas, and I respect yours. :D

Thanks,

Duane

Bass,

I got the ETA Delrin magazine follower yesterday, but won't have time to play with it until the weekend probably.

I expected it to be RED, but it's kinda' lime GREEN.

When I ordered it, the ETA website showed RED. Now it shows GREEN. I don't guess that matters much. The Lime green is probably more visible in low light.

As you can see, it does have a nub on the front, which should make it easy to feel the difference between a round and an empty magazine.

I'll probably have to trim the "tail" down a good bit to be able to load the magazine to full capacity.

Won't know about that until I have time to play with it.

Duane

I got a chance to install some goodies on the 930 today, including an Elite Tactical SKU140 Bolt Charging Handle ($20.00), SKU17615 Hi_Vis Follower($12.00), and SKU130 Safety($24.99).

You can see all of them in this photo:

I had thought that maybe I'd have to modify the Follower, but it works great as is. I can easily load 7 2 3/4" shells in the magazine.

BTW, it's much more visible in real life than it is in the photo.

I like all 3 of these, and highly recommend them to you guys. :cool:

Duane

Back