• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magazine tube removal success

Reaper

I've had a S&J Hardware type 3 follower and Wolff XP magazine spring laying around for a couple years now and finally decided to tackle the mag tube removal job on my 7+1 Mossberg 500 Persuader. Never had any problems with the factory follower and spring but wanted to upgrade anyways. I used the electric stove method and it worked perfectly. I tried it the first time and didn't let enough of the loc-tite to burn off, the second try I let it smoke for several minutes and it turned off very easily with just a gloved hand. I held the area of the receiver/tube junction right over the glowing orange eye without touching the eye.

Last edited:
Fantastic.

Now you don't have to go thru that again unless you choose to re-LocTite it again.

Good job!

No reason to loctite it on reassembly.
The barrel lug will keep the tube in place just fine.

No more loc-tite for this gun. Like LTB45 says, no way the mag tube can possibly come loose with the barrel attached.

The S&J Hardware follower is a high vis flo green and has a hole in it to feel for an empty magazine. Loaded and cycled some dummy rounds and everything works perfectly.

rhpeev.jpg
[/IMG]

Not entirely sure how I feel about the big hole in the mag follower.

It's certainly hi-viz, just looks like it would be an ideal place to introduce things that shouldn't be introduced in there.

Not to mention how the mag limiter would work (or not) for those states that limit mag capacity for hunting and things. I wouldn't want the limiter to be pushing directly onto my hull crimps.

No hunting with this 7+1 Persuader, its a HD/SHTF gun only, so a mag limiter will never be in this guns magazine. I can see where it might be a problem with the wooden dowel mag limiter. S&J makes other style followers for the Remington 870 but only offer this type 3 with the hole in it for the Mossberg 500, 590, etc.

I think the fluorescent green follower with the hole looks perfectly effective. You did a great job choosing and installing it.

Your sidesaddle rounds are oriented because?

Great point John!
I had considered the Orange for my hunting gun, but that hole would be a problem for the chopstick I use as a magazine limiter.

I noticed the hole and that's just the first thing that came in my head.

For an HD gun that Reaper needs, would be perfectly suited for that.

Just not for those that need to have a pre-determined limit of shells as are in many states' hunting reg's.

This might be considered blasphemy here but.......the Remington mag limiter that comes with the older 870's (the 2 that I have) is plastic and much larger diameter than the wood dowel that a Mossberg comes with. I bet it would work perfect in the 4 round tube on a Mossberg. I'll have to dig one out and check.

The newer 870 plugs don't have the fat end on one side like they used to have. I bought one from academy sports a month or so ago and it wasn't much larger diameter than a pencil.

And it was a Remington product, not an aftermarket.

It was fatter than mossbergs little tiny dowel though.

While this is a Mossberg owner forum, no one is going to bash you for having a different brand.

Great point John!
I had considered the Orange for my hunting gun, but that hole would be a problem for the chopstick I use as a magazine limiter.
You crazy? Chop sticks or pencils in the mag tube is now a mandatory life sentence in Connecticut. King Malloy and Queen Murphy have spoken.

You crazy? Chop sticks or pencils in the mag tube is now a mandatory life sentence in Connecticut. King Malloy and Queen Murphy have spoken.

Misinformation!
Please explain how using ANYTHING to limit magazine capacity in a hunting shotgun would be illegal!

I know it's a joke ;)

He's not my king....

or queen....

hahahaaaaaa

I did this last night to my 1973 vintage model 500. It took me about 15 minutes to get my mag tube off. I have one of the weird ones with the anti rattle rings and spring on it, so I had to take it apart to change my fore grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typical Loctite compounds spontaneously decompose at about 350'F except for the High strength (Usually green Retaining compounds)
But as the factory uses Loctite blue putting the stripped receiver into a 350degree oven for half an hour will "kill" the Loctite bond

The High strength Retaining compounds "go" at 400'F

I tried heat gun and stove routes to free up mine. No dice. Took a trip to a gunsmith and a "Whole lot of heat" to break mine free.

-- Mark

I've been very lucky on the 3 Mossbergs I removed the mag tube from. I used a propane torch. The receiver was wrapped to prevent scratching and held in a vice.

After learning what to look for on the first one, I did the other two in about 5 minutes start to finish. Being a former Marine, I like being able to clean this area, and the only way to do so properly is to remove the mag tube.

Back