• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magazine tube removal success

My recent encounter with my new 18.5" 500 Persuader, manufactured 7/2020, proved to be a bit of a challenge in trying to remove the magazine tube. I completely disassembled the shotgun, including the stock. Began with 200 degrees of heat gun heat aimed at the mag tube/receiver juncture for 10 minutes, receiver in a rubber padded vice. Used a strap wrench, however it would not budge. I then applied additional heat, same method, yet had the same negative results. I did not use excessive heat or force. Next, I waited 24 hours and used another heat gun and raised the temp to 320-350, for about 15 minutes which varied depending on the aim-point and used the strap wrench at the cap end of the tube and it seemed to not move as before, but in a second, it snapped loose and I was able to unscrew the tube easily. Only the outer 3 threads had red Loctite on them which I carefully removed with a dental pick and small brass brush. Cleaned all surfaces inside and out and reassembled it without Loctite, which I believe is unnecessary. Hand tightening does the job and allows for easy removal for repair and cleaning. The finish remained as original on the anodized receiver and the magazine tube.

Back