• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul Problem

spd301

Copper BB
I'm trying to install a Magpul forearm on my 590A1. The Magpul forearm doesn't seem to seat deep enough to be able to get the castle nut to thread. I've tried spreading the forearm a bit, but no luck.

The forearm is labeled 590, and the box is labeled 590/590A1.

Anyone else ran into this?

What length is your action slide tube?

I believe the Magpul forends are made for the longer 7-5/8" slide tubes. If yours is the shorter 6-1/2" slide tube you'll need an adapter nut...

beforeoldstyle.jpg

Hogue makes an adapter nut that should be pretty easy to find...

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Forend-Adapter-Mossberg-6-75-Inch/dp/B00162TC6O

The longer nut allows the threads to reach and properly seat in the shorter 6-1/2" slide tube...

The magpul forend is a straight forward install with the supplied parts, I just installed one on my 870, now I know the 590/500 and the 870 are not the same as far as forend go, but I encountered no issues on the install.
I would check the length of your forend tube as LES suggested. It also comes with a instruction booklet (which I didn't use by the way), that may tell you the forend size it works with.

Last edited:
Mossberg's use of multiple forend configurations does create some confusion.

The magpul forend is a straight forward install with the supplied parts, I just installed one on my 870, now I know the 590/500 and the 870 are not the same as far as forend go, but I encountered no issues on the install.
I would check the length of your forend type as LES suggested. It also comes with a instruction booklet, that my tell you the forend size it works with.
Mine went on smooth on my 500 as well

I'm assuming it's the shorter slide tube. I forgot to mention that it's a 14 inch 590A1. Thanks for the help Lazy Eyed.

Always glad to help.

The 14" barrel issue opens up another can of worms as I believe the SBS models use an even shorter slide tube. The Magpul forend may not work with yours even with an adapter. I'd measure the slide tube, following the photo posted above. If it's 6-1/2" you should be good to go with an adapter nut. If it's shorter, it's not going to work...

Well.....the Hogue forend adapter didn't work. The adapter will not slide down inside the forend opening. I may have to go another route.

I had to severely modify my forend to fit my 535. Inside Diameter was slightly off, the "ramp" under the barrel needed to be sanded for clearance... It was nearly 3 hours sanding and test fitting... But, she's smooth as hell now

Keep in mind also, there can be slight differences in material specs and tolerances as these are molded. So not every single one will be exactly identical.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back