• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul vs Hogue stock

I want to put a shorter LOP stock on my 590 but not sure if I should go with the Magpul or Hogue stock. I'm leaning toward the Hogue because it's less expensive, I have a bead sight so don't need to raise cheekweld, and I think the Magpul looks a little weird.

I've tried the Magpul and it felt good but I don't know anyone who has the Hogue.

Has anyone tried both? Is the Magpul worth the extra money?

Last edited:
I've used Hogue and am happy enough with them I've not considered looking into anything else. But I haven't tried the Magpul and can't really be entirely objective.

I have the Magpul and love how modular it is allowing you to adjust LOP and comb height. I have not tried the Hogue so I cannot comment on that. I also like the more vertical grip of the Magpul for ergonomic reasons.

I have the Hogue over molded on two of my field guns (std lop however) , very nice feel and would buy them again.

I also have the Magpul sga butt stock and fore end on my hd rig.. My opinion is this , the magpul design is very ergonomically pleasing for me and as a HD rig i like it with the short lop.. However for sustained field shooting I do like to add another 1/2" to the lop , something you may not easily do with other butt stocks. I'm 6'-1" tall and for myself don't do my best field shooting with too short a lop.

All in all I feel the magpul albiet expensive as compared to others , isn't over priced and certainly worth the money.

One last thing to consider , shortening the lop by an inch from standard may change the way your cheek lands on the stock... I noticed this quite early on trying to fold crows with the HD rig and the short lop lol.

I have the Hogue on my 870 and love it. I have looked at the Magpul stock and while it intrigues me, I just think the grip angle is to close to that of a pistol grip which is nice for precision shots but not as good for field work. I do realize Magpul designed it to be a tactical stock not a general hunting stock.

I did have a pistol grip stock once on my 835 and it just did not work for me in many situations so I removed it.

Back