• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mariner 8-Shot Longer barrel?

I am looking for some help on getting a longer barrel for my mariner 8-shot. I cannot find anything on the Mossberg website that gives me an answer and after a 30 minute plus wait on the phone I had to hang up.

Anyone know what I can do to make this happen without changing out the mag tube.

Is it the 20" barrel?

If so, the 20" guns are a little weird in that the interchangeability between guns is almost non existent. To put a longer field barrel on a 590 is not an impossible thing, but it has to be the shorter magazine tube but then it wouldn't be a 20" barrel, it would be an 18-1/2".

With the shorter magazine tube, you can use longer barrels, but not a 20". Weird. And in fact, the barrels you can choose from are 835 barrels, not 590 or 500 barrels. But if you were to go with an 835 field barrel, you can't shoot slugs. If you want to shoot slugs you would need either the barrel you have, or an 835 rifled barrel. If you use a rifled barrel, you wouldn't want to use it for shot.

Make sense?

Yes I have the 20" barrel that comes on the 8/9-shot 590 Shotgun.

There may not be an option, I am just looking for something that can do the trick for me.

The only real option is the one you mentioned above. Buy the shorter magazine tube and then use 835 barrels.

Let me also ask, what is it you want to use the gun for?

The only real option is the one you mentioned above. Buy the shorter magazine tube and then use 835 barrels.

Let me also ask, what is it you want to use the gun for?

I am trying to set my shotgun up to also use it for skeet shooting, I am open to any suggestions to make skeet shooting better. I want to be able to leave it as is for home defense but I would like to be able to make a few changes to make it better for skeet. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.

I agree with Bobster.

You're looking at either a 5 round magazine tube + field barrel + possibly an 18-1/2" barrel, or another gun altogether with the field barrel you want and leave this one alone.

Get a 500A magazine tube then you can use any of the various standard 500A barrels. I did this with my 835. Its a quick swap when you want to go back and forth.

If you are adament about maintaining the high capacity with multiple barrels you are more limited.

Back