• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 barrels in M590A1 marinecote

Anybody know whether the barrels are interchangeable?
I have the Flex M590A1 marinecote with 18.5" barrel and plan on getting the Maverick 88 combo 18.5"/28" barrels.
I'd like to use both the 18.5" and 28" barrels from the Maverick 88 on the 590 sometimes.

No they are not interchangeable.

You would have to change the mag tubes also.

That would be ok as long as the chamber end of the barrels mates with the receiver.
But I will order the Maverick 88 regardless as the M590A1 is heavy to carry when hiking and I like having a second spare shotgun anyway.

Like Mossy said, have to change out mag tube. The receivers should be the same except for the markings and maybe trigger group.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Be warned the mag tube is screwed into the receiver with red loctite and will require heat and a strap wrench to remove. Not that big a deal, but not as easy as just going back and forth with long and short barrels on same model.

So I've received the Maverick 88 security/field combo (two barrel combo). It's Mossberg product id #31014. https://www.mossberg.com/product/maverick-88-security-field-combo-31014/
I'm happy with the purchase so far. It's much lighter than the 590A1 so will be easier to carry when camping and hunting.
The barrels will not go onto my 590A1 flex because the Maverick (also all 500 models from pictures online) use a retaining screw for the barrel whereas the 590 uses a cap type screw.
I was hoping to use the 28" barrel on my 590 but no go.
But it's ok, It's good to have a spare 12 gauge, and in time I may buy a hunting barrel for the 590. Right now they are too expensive and not in stock anyway so it's better to get the Maverick 88.

Be warned the mag tube is screwed into the receiver with red loctite and will require heat and a strap wrench to remove. Not that big a deal, but not as easy as just going back and forth with long and short barrels on same model.

Thanks for the info. I've decided I will not bother with removing the tube to change the barrels. For my usage the Maverick 88 will do fine and the 590A1 flex will be mostly a spare and range use for now.

Back