• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 forend for 500 & parkerized heat shield

JayC

.270 WIN
My 500 has the pinned forend. I've seen some Maverick 88s and got to thinking. Is there anywhere I could get the Maverick 88 tactical style (if that's what you call it) pinned forend to put on my 500? That might be the cheapest way for me to get a new forend that doesn't overlap the receiver so I can put on a side saddle.

Another thing I was wondering is if I can get a parkerized heat shield for my 18.5" barrel? Since my 500 isn't blued, but the barrel I got last month is, I thought maybe a parkerized heat shield might spruce it up a bit.

JayC said:
My 500 has the pinned forend. I've seen some Maverick 88s and got to thinking. Is there anywhere I could get the Maverick 88 tactical style (if that's what you call it) pinned forend to put on my 500? That might be the cheapest way for me to get a new forend that doesn't overlap the receiver so I can put on a side saddle.

Another thing I was wondering is if I can get a parkerized heat shield for my 18.5" barrel? Since my 500 isn't blued, but the barrel I got last month is, I thought maybe a parkerized heat shield might spruce it up a bit.

i've never tried it but,,,,,
i would think as long as your 500 is pinned,,the mav88 pinned forend should work.
the parkerized heat shield is # 95066.
keep us posted.

JayC said:

Even the wood forends are pinned now? Well, if you're looking for pinned 88 or 500 forend, I'm sure there are lots of people here, or on ebay, that are selling theirs to offset buying an action tube, which would certainly be pretty affordable

Aimpro has their heatshield, but look over the Aimpro subforum before you buy,ATI has their Halo models, and Havlin Sales has factory stock heat shields in blued and parked

Thanks for the replies. The reason I was thinking of the pinned forend from the Maverick 88 is because the 7 3/4" slide tube is so pricey. I'd like the 7 3/4" tube. I'm not sure why an extra inch causes it to be about double what the 6 3/4" tube costs. After looking at the 6 3/4" tube, I may get that. I've seen before on ATI's site that if you have the 6 3/4" tube you need their adapter nut. Do you need their nut or will any nut work?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116107 ... ge-590-835

This is the nut for the 6 3/4" slide tube on MidwayUSA. Would that work with an ATI forend, or will I need their nut?

I don't know about wood forends being pinned. My 500 is synthetic. I don't know how to explain it exactly with the heat shield, but I guess I'm trying to make the gun look more "uniform" with a parkerized heat shield.

I apologize for the dumb questions, and appreciate everyone's patience. :)

No dumb questions here... I'm actually intrigued by your forend... I didn't know that some synthetic forends come ride over the receiver, I just thought the hunting style wood ones did. And I would attribute the big difference in price to supply and demand... no one wants to swap forends for the 6 3/4... all the accessories are for the 7 5/8's. But the Hogue forend nut should work just fine with any aftermarket accessories.

,,,,yup,,,synthetic with that overhang.

Attachments

• 128700.jpg
    128700.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 417
aksavanaman said:
No dumb questions here... I'm actually intrigued by your forend... I didn't know that some synthetic forends come ride over the receiver, I just thought the hunting style wood ones did. And I would attribute the big difference in price to supply and demand... no one wants to swap forends for the 6 3/4... all the accessories are for the 7 5/8's. But the Hogue forend nut should work just fine with any aftermarket accessories.

Here's a photo of what the forend looks like on my 500.

I think I might just get the 6 3/4" slide tube and get the adapter nut. I love my 500, but the more I think about it the more miffed I get that Mossberg cheapened out and stuck a pinned forend on there.

This is my first shotgun, so I'm still learning. I've already learned a lot from this site and am grateful for that.

JayC said:
I think I might just get the 6 3/4" slide tube and get the adapter nut. I love my 500, but the more I think about it the more miffed I get that Mossberg cheapened out and stuck a pinned forend on there.

This is my first shotgun, so I'm still learning. I've already learned a lot from this site and am grateful for that.

No shortage of guys who think they know something about the 500 :lol: And it goes to show, I didn't know about the new style polymer forend, you learn something everyday.

I would agree with your choice on the 6 3/4 with the hogue adapter. While my first choice would be the 7 5/8's, I really don't think it'll make your shotty any less capable not having it! Keep us posted on your progress!

AK

old mossy said:

As old mossy has shown some synthetic fore ends do overlap. I have in the past removed that skirt on both wood and synthetic fore ends with good results. Saw it off and sand it a little and you are all set. Added cost, nothing. tom. :cool:

deputy tom said:
old mossy said:

As old mossy has shown some synthetic fore ends do overlap. I have in the past removed that skirt on both wood and synthetic fore ends with good results. Saw it off and sand it a little and you are all set. Added cost, nothing. tom. :cool:

good call Tom,,,,,,,save yer money for ammo. :)

hey guys..'used the search button and this came up...I have a question relating to this thread.
I really want to try the forend that overlaps the receiver (opposite from what the OP wants). But where can I get one? I've been searching the web but can't seem to find any...
this is the forend Im looking for:
JayC said:

and this is what I have (Mossberg 500 "Persuader" 8-shot 20in barrel):
20709-1.jpg

I'm assuming they are interchangeable if I get the whole forend assembly or am I wrong? Thanks for all the help.

If you get the whole assembly it will just swap out.

If your rails are attached to a tube and has a tube nut at the end then you can just swap out the forend onto the tube if it is the correct length.

EDIT:

I believe the Mossberg models have the tube and the Maverick models just have the rails pinned to the forend with no tube.

I have the exact same model 500 persuader that you pictured with the shorter ribbed combat style forend, but I bought mine back in the early '90s and it came with a factory heat shield. Shortly after I ordered the "nicer" extended forend from Mossberg and it came with the tube assembly and rails. The tube was the exact same length as the one that came on it (the longer one....7 5/8"). I swapped them out and sold the stock forend assembly for like $35.

One note about that setup.....the bottom edges of the heat shield near the front rubbed against the forend a bit. I sanded the forend down a bit in those areas. I've since swapped to an ATI stock and forend. The new forend clears the heat shield and still overlaps the receiver a bit, but not as much as the Mossberg forend. I'm still up in the air on which forend I like better. The ATI one is newer and fits nicely, but the Mossberg one is scalloped more on the sides for your fingers and feels better in the hand.

I just put a pinned black synthetic forearm on my 500. There was a seller with a LOT of them for $16.99+free shipping on eBay. I got the last one!

gooffeyguy said:
I believe the Mossberg models have the tube and the Maverick models just have the rails pinned to the forend with no tube.
Thanks. Yes, this is why I would just like to get the whole pinned assembly that has the forend that overlaps the receiver so it'll be a simple swap...but Im open to other ways as well, I really just want that overlapping forend :D

dwcopple said:
I just put a pinned black synthetic forearm on my 500. There was a seller with a LOT of them for $16.99+free shipping on eBay. I got the last one!
Lucky! 'been searching ebay but no dice :(

old mossy said:
Thanks for the link... Hmmm, I have the 7 5/8" tube...not sure that'll fit right and will overlap the receiver....?

Back