• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Take down screw replacement

I would wait until you have your new Maverick in your hands and see what they sent you. I've seen them send a small brown envelope with a couple swivel screws in it. Maybe you'll get lucky. Some barrel screws are threaded ,,,,, some aren't.

That is the correct part number.12030.

Keep us posted on what they sent you and how the new Maverick came.

The take down screw has a threaded hole. I ordered 2 studs from Midway and replaced the original screw with the Uncle Mike's that just got here in the mail. It has a set of swivels, screw with front swivel stud, white washer and rear stud, tool to remove retainer and a new retainer. Uncle Mike's number 1810-2. I got this at Amazon for $14. No shipping because I have Prime. But, the studs are $4.99 each at Midway and only $4.99 shipping. Brownells has them same price, but over $7 shipping. If you order them from Mossberg, they are $3 each and 12.+ shipping.

This worked out really well. It would have been nice to save a few bucks but i had a hard time finding these parts. The studs are not Maverick parts and you have to look for them in the accessories list for the 500/50-A1 I believe. or lust search for 12030 part number in the Mossberg search engine.

For what it's worth, I got a new "88" a couple weeks ago, and the takedown screw was threaded 10-32 for a swivel stud, but a stud wasn't included. You can get them at most gun shops or even Walmart.

For what it's worth, I got a new "88" a couple weeks ago, and the takedown screw was threaded 10-32 for a swivel stud, but a stud wasn't included. You can get them at most gun shops or even Walmart.

I looked on the walmart site and I cannot find the studs. That is why I ordered from Midway. I got the replacement screw and swivel /studs from Amazon and Walmart has something similar...but no stud all by itself.

As Mossy and Bob and all have said. Just a note that hasn't been raised I don't think; pretty much all the current barrels either come with the threaded take down screw or they come with the same threading in a hole on the bottom of the barrel ring itself.

Wondering how to take off the original take down screw on the 88 and replace it.

If you get an Uncle Mikes replacement screw it comes with a removal tool. The washer that holds the screw in to the barrel ring just threads on. It is not really easy but it works.

I had to experiment a bit because after the washer threads up into the ring it has to be compressed a bit more to hold it there from sliding off. After it fell back out a couple times I had to play with it to see what I could do th make it stay put.

The tool supplied is a short ring like thing like a mini spanner with 2 small bumps on one side that fit more or less, the teeth of the washer. Use that side to screw the washer on and off. Then flip it over and set the smooth side up into the ring against the washer and pop it a couple times with a hammer or rubber mallet to set it. The spring steel teeth will find a grip and hold the washer from falling out. I have had no more problems with the washer falling out when removing the barrel. If you happen to damage that washer just go get another one at a hardware store somewhere.

Got my new Take-Down screw today without a retaining clip :mad: and i don't know where the hell i put my last one.. anyways do i really need that clip?

You need the clip if you do not want to pick the clip up off the floor whenever you remove your barrel. That clip needs to be threaded up on to the screw, then with the little ring used to screw it on, flip that tool over and place the flat side against the clip and pop it a couple times with a hammer to set it up a bit tighter on to the screw. the teeth will find a purchase on the screw and hold tight. The clip is spring steel so it will take a bit of a whack to set it.

If you can't find your old one the hardware store should have something similar.

Picked up a 2nd barrel for the wife's 20 ga Maverick 88 but the barrel came with the take down screw not having the retainer - Mossberg wants $3.50 + shipping - http://www.mossberg.com/store/5393.html
Numrich wants $5.05 + shipping https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/52870A -
ACE Hardware had the internal star washer 1/2" it was a little tight so I filed the teeth a little bit until I was sure they would be at the bottom of the threads (no cupping) and I installed it myself for $0.33
Why do companies try to rip us off for common items? I would see it if it was something really special but this is just insulting. RCBS has sent me parts for free and paid the postage, Same with Ruger.

Back