• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MC2c Trigger

Underdog

Premier Member
I bought a new MC2c yesterday and cleaned it and lubed it, it was totally dry from the factory. Anyway took it out this morning and ran 40 rounds through it 115gr ammo, the pistol shoots good but the trigger is a horror. I did lube as much of the trigger as I could get to without totally disassembling the pistol. The trigger is really gritty and sticky and has a plastic against plastic feel to it, very mushy also. My question is has anyone smoothed one of these out and made it better. I'm willing to work with this MC2c and I realize it needs way more break-in time, but this trigger is unacceptable at best right now. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I also bought a SAR B6c pistol at the same time as the MC2c, and the B6c is a much better shooting pistol all around. I'm not dissing the MC2c but the SAR pistol really impressed me and it's a keeper.

While I have never shot a Sar B6 handgun, I love my Sar k245. Best 45 handgun that I've ever owned. So, I would expect the B6 to be just as great of a gun. You're in very good company.

As for the Mc2 trigger, I'm not sure what to recommend that you do. If you're able to field strip it and look at all of the contact points while you're moving it with the slide off of the gun, maybe you can see where the grit is coming from.

I don't think it would hurt it to run a cloth dremel polishing wheel over any surface that you think is rough and/or causing friction. Just don't remove any material.

Maybe it just needs broken in? I have had stuff that had small burrs and machining remnants before.

John A. thank you for the reply and glad to see others with a good SAR handgun and enjoying theirs. I took the MC2c apart again and flushed out the trigger and striker with Kroil penetrating oil, reassembled it and racked the slide and trigger 50 times. I measure the trigger pull weight and it floats between 7 and 8 lbs, although it is slightly less gritty now. I plan on running another 50 rounds through it tomorrow and see if that helps, hopefully so. If not, I'll chalk it up as a loss and sell it off.

What John said--buff and or polish. How about posting pics of the slide undercarriage and top of frame with trigger group clearly shown and I'll suggest areas to polish (or not polish). I've tuned some P80 "glock" triggers with a jeweler's file and deburr wheel although you could use sandpaper. There may be a couple pins you could push out to get at the trigger group but I am guessing at this point. I know NOTHING about servicing the MC2c nor have I held one in my hands so I would be interested in pics of the internals...

John A. thank you for the reply and glad to see others with a good SAR handgun and enjoying theirs. I took the MC2c apart again and flushed out the trigger and striker with Kroil penetrating oil, reassembled it and racked the slide and trigger 50 times. I measure the trigger pull weight and it floats between 7 and 8 lbs, although it is slightly less gritty now. I plan on running another 50 rounds through it tomorrow and see if that helps, hopefully so. If not, I'll chalk it up as a loss and sell it off.

Well, I have had a few guns that have been let downs. I'm hoping the mossberg isn't one of those, but only you can decide whether you're happy with it or not.

As for the Sars, I like mine. A lot.

It's reliable. I can shoot it well. It's one of those guns that just fits me and feels more like an extension of my body.

What John said--buff and or polish. How about posting pics of the slide undercarriage and top of frame with trigger group clearly shown and I'll suggest areas to polish (or not polish). I've tuned some P80 "glock" triggers with a jeweler's file and deburr wheel although you could use sandpaper. There may be a couple pins you could push out to get at the trigger group but I am guessing at this point. I know NOTHING about servicing the MC2c nor have I held one in my hands so I would be interested in pics of the internals...

The internals are almost a direct Glock copy and fairly easy to disassemble. I went ahead an ordered a Mcarbo trigger, sear, and striker spring set. And while it's apart I'll polish up all the internal parts that I can. In the meantime until I get the spring kit, I'll run more rounds through it and see if it helps it along. Thank you for the replies and help.

I have used mcarbo stuff in a few of my guns and I like their stuff. It should help improve the feel of the trigger.

Or, at least get the pull weight down more at least. Hopefully it doesn't make it too light and give you any light strikes. That's why I'm always hesitant to swap out the striker spring on anything even at the risk of it maybe still being a little heavier trigger pull weight.

I hate heavy and triggers too. I get exactly where you're coming from. Though, in fairness, most companies make a lot of their stuff far heavier than necessary. Mostly for cone headed lawyer legal reasons as I'm sure we're both aware of.

Please keep us updated with things as you can.

The transfer bar is hitting and binding on the disconnector causing the trigger in turn to bind up and feel really rough. Whan the spring kit arrives I will address this issue and hopefully it will function much better, in the meantime I'll keep pouring rounds through it. As you can see the internals are very Glock like, almost identical.
thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (1).jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 10
As you can see the internals are very Glock like, almost identical.

Yup, very Glockish... You can probably use a Glock tool to disassemble (push pins out). That bump on the bar near the trigger probably acts on the firing pin safety. Once the bar is out, file off all the sharp edges from stamping. Smooth any roughness on the firing pin safety bump and on the cruciform where the disconnector is. Avoid smoothing where the cruciform pulls the striker back (the "sear").

Update...
Mcarbo kit is installed and tested and it dropped my trigger in the MC2c down to 4.5 to 5 lbs from 7 lbs. While I had it apart, I polished up the internals with 3K grit emery paper and it was easy to see where it was binding up. The main problem with this trigger is the sear, it's "plastic" and that is what gives it a weird feeling but it works. So far I have 160 rounds through this pistol without any functioning issues and it is accurate. I like it and I plan to keep it and continue to shoot it regularly, hopefully the trigger improves with more use.

I'm glad it's working out for you.

Though, it sucks that you have to fool with it yourself.

I mean, would it really kill them to put the sear in a tumbler and smooth it up some?

But, I digress.

Exactly, but I guess they have a price point to make and something has to get downgraded or cut. I've never seen a plastic sear before and I believe it should be made of metal, but almost everything is made cheaper these days. But something you rely your life on, should be made accordingly. Anyway the Mcarbo kit for this gun makes a noticeable difference, and I thank them for taking the time and doing a good job of it.

Greetings!

Im fresh on the block so I want to first say hello and hope that this will be my one and done home relating to my newly acquired MC2sc.

Jumping right in, I see others have done the Mcarbo trigger spring kit, I just did it on my sc and besides that annoying pin for the extractor assembly going back in it was fairly easy with that YouTube guide video.

Aside from the significantly lighter trigger pull, I myself still notice a bit of that mucky take up before you’d hit the wall for the break. I have to still get back in the range in next few days to confirm functionality/reliability (no light strikes, eject issues) so I’m carrying my back up SS .38 special J frame til then.

Can anyone be able to advise where precisely I can polish/lubricate to help make this trigger as smooth as my Glock?

Interesting video on the Mossberg pistol. There is another on as well where they torture test one.

I've been shooting my MC2c more lately every time I go to the range I take it, and it is smoothing up nicely. The trigger is getting much better the more I use it, and the pistol has never had a malfunction so far. It does very well with 124gr ammo and it's very accurate. I've been looking for an MC2c optics ready model so I can add a micro red-dot, but none of my LGS carry this model.

Underdog,
I have been carrying and using an MC2c for about a year and a half now. Have run approx 150 rounds thru the pipe. No FTF thus far. I too installed the Mcarbo trigger spring kit with good results. It went from a 6 1/2 lb avg of 5 pulls to a solid 5 lbs. I really like the immediate improvement in the trigger. Didn't do any polishing on the mechanism but plan to do so when I get the time. I have always been able to hit on target with this gun right out of the box. I shot a 1-7/8" group at 7 meters with the stock trigger springs. Can't wait to see how it groups now. Thanks for the info.

Underdog,
I have been carrying and using an MC2c for about a year and a half now. Have run approx 150 rounds thru the pipe. No FTF thus far. I too installed the Mcarbo trigger spring kit with good results. It went from a 6 1/2 lb avg of 5 pulls to a solid 5 lbs. I really like the immediate improvement in the trigger. Didn't do any polishing on the mechanism but plan to do so when I get the time. I have always been able to hit on target with this gun right out of the box. I shot a 1-7/8" group at 7 meters with the stock trigger springs. Can't wait to see how it groups now. Thanks for the info.
You are really going to enjoy how that trigger feels after a few hundred rounds later! I did the Mcarbo switch for both my MC2sc (with red dot) and my newly acquired stainless MC2c (with self upgraded tritium tru glo sights), and funny as it sounds, the sc feels better eating 147gr but I fully agree the 124gr is the Goldilocks on the c. It could be recoil perception between barrel lengths but we are only talking about 1/2 in difference, I also like to only use the 11rd flush mag in the sc as that is what I primarily carry for maximum concealment so grip could be more of an affect here. Best thing of having both models, I get to have as many 14rd mags as I please in my center console with no worries of which I’m carrying!

I bought a new MC2c yesterday and cleaned it and lubed it, it was totally dry from the factory. Anyway took it out this morning and ran 40 rounds through it 115gr ammo, the pistol shoots good but the trigger is a horror. I did lube as much of the trigger as I could get to without totally disassembling the pistol. The trigger is really gritty and sticky and has a plastic against plastic feel to it, very mushy also. My question is has anyone smoothed one of these out and made it better. I'm willing to work with this MC2c and I realize it needs way more break-in time, but this trigger is unacceptable at best right now. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I also bought a SAR B6c pistol at the same time as the MC2c, and the B6c is a much better shooting pistol all around. I'm not dissing the MC2c but the SAR pistol really impressed me and it's a keeper.
I also had an issue with the trigger on my 2sc. After going to the range twice, I'd pull the trigger on the unloaded gun just to the wall and release my finger. The trigger just stayed there. I did this several times, and then without touching the safety paddle, I pulled the trigger shoe and it fired. The trigger never sprang back to reset. I really didn't like the way the trigger felt, so I bought the Mcarbo 3 spring trigger kit, replaced the springs, thoroughly cleaned the pistol, oiled the connector and trigger bar, and with the slide off, I really worked the trigger and trigger bar. After doing all this, I put the slide back on and noticed a few things.
1. The trigger feels smoother and resets like it should from manually working it with the slide removed.
2. I think installing the Mcarbo springs made a great improvement on the feel of the trigger.
3. The back plate is so much easier to remove after installing the Mcarbo striker spring. So far I have not experienced any light strikes.

You are really going to enjoy how that trigger feels after a few hundred rounds later! I did the Mcarbo switch for both my MC2sc (with red dot) and my newly acquired stainless MC2c (with self upgraded tritium tru glo sights), and funny as it sounds, the sc feels better eating 147gr but I fully agree the 124gr is the Goldilocks on the c. It could be recoil perception between barrel lengths but we are only talking about 1/2 in difference, I also like to only use the 11rd flush mag in the sc as that is what I primarily carry for maximum concealment so grip could be more of an affect here. Best thing of having both models, I get to have as many 14rd mags as I please in my center console with no worries of which I’m carrying!
I have been wanting to upgrade the front sight on my MC2c to a fiber optic but I am having difficulty finding one with the same height as the factory sight. The OEM factory front sight blade measures 0.160 ht. x 0.140 w. Hi Viz offers one #SLGW08 with the correct Sig #8 dovetail cut but it is only 0.157" ht. x 0.140" w. I am wondering if that is close enough height dimension as to not mess up my sight alignment. I can group very well with the factory sights, and I only wanted to upgrade the front sight to fiber optic for quicker sight acquisition in bright sunlight. I really don't need the tritium sights front and rear as I already have a Crimson Trace green laser mounted on the picatinny access'y rail for low light conditions. However, I am curious about the tritium sights you installed on your MC2c.

What brand and part # tritium sights did you use? Did they have the same height and width dimensions as the factory MC2c iron sights? What is the accuracy of your groups since installation of these sights?

Back