• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Metal follower

I was able to source one from 'The Smith Shop' http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html

So far, this is the only supplier I have found. I live in Canada, and even with international shipping ($10) and exchange rate, it was still a bargain. My factory plastic follower was periodically getting stuck. I use the 464 as a back up for archery bear hunting. Cycling rounds when needed is crucial when tracking wounded game, and this has solved the problem.

Mossberg has redesigned their followers for the 930. Not sure I like the new design considering the pressure it will place on the crimp (Specifically the crimp on buffered buckshot rounds). You DO NOT want the buffer material migrating around the 930's internals.

Thank you Hombre. This means I won't have to make one.

I was just going to make one out of a brass cartridge case of some kind.

That stock follower is a bit of a hokey deal.

Thank you Hombre. This means I won't have to make one.

I was just going to make one out of a brass cartridge case of some kind.

That stock follower is a bit of a hokey deal.

I cannot figure out how the inside got so gooped up. I did what you said when I first got the rifle and cleaned that tube until I got some clean patches. My guess is the heat from firing just caused the residue that I missed to migrate down toward the follower end. I know I had the follower out before and it came out very easy.

BTW, does your stock follower have a little square dent near the opening of the piece? Looks like a notch that is meant to fit over something, like an alignment notch. I see no reason for the notch.

Isn't that just to keep it stuck on the spring?
Could be but it did not stick to my spring because the plastic was swelled and nothing short of a fish hook would have stuck it to the spring. Even after I swabbed out the tube again it would not slide at all without a push rod of some kind, and to get it out of the pipe I had to stuff 3 round patches on a brush, in to the follower and coax it out of the pipe. After sanding it down it now slides ok. I could do more and will if I have to but now it works.

I have heard of this: the plastic softening from break-down oils.

Oils with harsh solvents, designed to melt crud out of metal pores. MEK or lacquer thinner.

Isn't that just to keep it stuck on the spring?

I forgot to mention that the notch is on the outside of the follower. It looks more like a notch that would be lined up to something inside the tube, maybe about an inch up from the bottom of the tube. The inside of the follower is smooth all the way around. It has no purpose I can see, except maybe to be a vent to keep air from being trapped in the tube, but air trapped in there would get compressed and would help with feeding.

Aha, if the follower gets stuck at the top of the tube, the notch affords room to insert tweezers to grip the edge of the follower.

Last edited:
The Smith Shop Flip Side.jpg
Here is what I got for the Mossberg 464. (Orange original from the factory)

Plastic Stock Follower and M464 SS Follower.
Magazine Follower _Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I finally took time to clean the Magazine Tube again, this time with Brake Kleen and a shotgun size brush/patch. It came out nice and clean but now I have to watch for rust because the Brake Kleen removes all oils. I also got the new cap and screw ready for the new Stainless Steel Follower

I got the tube clean and there was no sign of grit or other impurities down there so I dropped in the new follower. It slid down without a hitch. It is much heavier than the plastic follower that came in the rifle. After replacing the cap and screw with the new one I loaded the rifle with 6 in the tube and cycled every shell through without any catches or other problems. I am satisfied that the $24 I spent for the follower is well worth it.

I had my Gunsmith install the stainless follower for me. Worked out very well. He polished the follower and magazine tube before installing it. Nice and slick acting now!!
Bill

I had my Gunsmith install the stainless follower for me. Worked out very well. He polished the follower and magazine tube before installing it. Nice and slick acting now!!
Bill
It was really a simple install and mine did not need polishing, but, I am glad it works smoothly. I noticed a big improvement in mine also. My magazine tube could probably use some spit shine too but while it is workin I won't mess with it.

Well I've run several dozen rounds through mine since I trimmed the plastic follower. So far so good.

Last time I ran 20 rounds through it at the target range as fast as I could load it and work the lever and I got it good and hot and it never failed to feed.

I still want to have a metal follower I really don't like the idea of a plastic follower very much.

But for anyone who owns one of these guns, I would advise you to bob off that OEM follower to the depth of the square notch which is cast into it.

I'd also avoid getting solvent on it.

Back