• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Metal trigger vs. plastic?

I know the the 590A1 has an aluminum trigger assembly, while my humble 500 has the polymer one.

I'm venturing to upgrade my 500 so that it is not so humble, so I was wondering what benefits a metal trigger would afford me (and why.) It seems it would be more durable, but are there those of you who actually prefer the plastic trigger (and why?)

I'm also planning on replacing a the plastic safety with a metal one, but that doesn't seem as integral as the trigger, but worthy of note at least.

I see no real purpose for upgrading the trigger assy. on a 500.
I have hunted HARD with mine and since I do not HIT MY PREY with my shotgun, I shoot at them with it, so the the plastic trigger guard is fine.

I would not call the polymers used in modern firearms plastic. They are very durable and very reliable.

I've never had a polymer trigger fail in any firearm I've ever used. To me it's a non-issue and something that I don't even think about when looking at a gun.

I believe that I read somewhere (probably on this forum, just not sure) that the Navy did have a problem with the trigger guards breaking due to very rough handling on ships....thus the metal guard.

The little tab on my mossberg 500 trigger (which actuates the safety) is broken off.

I have also seen a large number of plastic trigger guards (on other shotguns) that are broken over time too.

Aluminum is overall stronger than plastic/polymer resin, but may not be an absolute necessity for everyone.

This is one of those times when the old saying "Your mileage may vary" certainly holds true.

Unless money was no object, I would keep the trigger polymer trigger assembly and put your money into other upgrades that would enhance the shotgun's operation for you. If I was going to swap out plastic for metal, I would look at the safety first as it seems that would be more likely to be damaged in heavy duty use or being dropped.

My only direction was upgrading to 590A1 specs, not so much that I have (or will have) a problem with the polymer trigger. I could spend those $ on something else though :mrgreen:

Back