• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MikeD's 450 Bushmaster build thread!!

Adjusted the depth so the trigger works now. I overshot a bit this time but it still seems to function good.

You need to put the selector in the hole while you are doing the safety check. You don't necessarily have to put the detent and everything in it, but the selector probably should be in the fire position. And then check it again with the safety on safe.

If you overshot the depth a little, probably won't hurt it.

The short answer is, as long as when you pull and hold the trigger, then reset the bolt with the other hand while keeping the trigger held back, then once the hammer is cocked again, when you do release the trigger and the hammer doesn't fall, it'll be alright.

I worked out a little "fix" for that with the polymer lower too. But as long as the disconnector doesn't slip off of the hammer, you won't have to monkey with it.

In looking at the photos you added above, that is going to be one really cool looking AR when you get finished with it.

I did have the selecter in when I was function testing. It kept falling out so it was removed prior to taking the pictures.

The first time I cocked it, it hung up on reset but after cycling/dry firing it several times I was unable to duplicate that scenario. Even pulling the upper and trying to push and tweek the trigger and hammer it would not hang up. I think I am good but will definitely keep an eye on it as the parts wear in.

diesel, the 80%arms jig is a lot better than the Anderson arms jig. It has fire control guides on both sides. The Anderson only has the fcg holes on one side.

diesel, the 80%arms jig is a lot better than the Anderson arms jig. It has fire control guides on both sides. The Anderson only has the fcg holes on one side.
It even worked with a polymer lower I had and used as a test case.

Sorry I have not updated this in a while. This has been a bad summer for me and I have been struggling to find the time to finish a lot of projects I need to get done around the house and for hunting. For various reasons I will not go into I am unable to complete the DIY Cerekote job on my lower but I did order another 80% already Cerekoted in FDE which should be here in a week or so, it is on backorder. I should be able to mill that one out and give it the rattle can camo before the season starts.

You're going to use an 80% lower for hunting?

That's fantastic.

Around here, that makes LEO eyes bug out because they LOVE to call in serial numbers.

If I still had my FFL's and could accept guns in the mail, I'd spray it for you.

@John A. Yes, why the hell not. I'll use the other one I milled for some other project or just keep it in the safe for when I need another lower.

No reason why you couldn't.

After all, it is 100% legal to make your own firearm.

You can make a pipe shotgun and use it squirrel or deer hunting too if you were brave enough that it wouldn't blow up.

It's just exactly what I said. Around here, LEO like to call in the serial numbers to every gun they lay eyes on. And unfortunately, some of those LEO are pretty ignorant when it comes to firearm laws and what is legal and what is not.

Most are OK, but there are a few young ones that haven't quite figured it out yet.

I've only ever been stopped twice in my entire life and both of those times were while fishing.

Already got the shipping notification on the lower. I thought the web page said they were on a one week backorder. WOOO HOOOO!

Maybe that message was from last week? :laugh:

Well, I got it a day or two ago so that was fast, I guess it was an old msg.

Hoping to start milling this one this weekend. Hoping it will go smother now that I have a couple under my belt. I'll get pics up as I work on it.

For anyone who has not followed this from the beginning, or anyone for that matter I deemed this thread worthy of saving so I have re-uploaded all of the build pictures to fix all the links broken by FailBucket Fortunately I still had them saved in the form in which I had originally uploaded them. Hopefully I got them all back in the correct place.

Enjoy.

Here we go again with the second lower....

MIllingSecondLower_001.jpg

MIllingSecondLower_002.jpg

MIllingSecondLower_003.jpg

Unfinidhed 80% lower
MIllingSecondLower_004.jpg

Mounted in the jig

MIllingSecondLower_005.jpg

Starter holes drilled for trigger pocket and rear shelf

MIllingSecondLower_006.jpg

MIllingSecondLower_007.jpg

Milling table installed

MIllingSecondLower_008.jpg

Finished milling and drilled trigger, safety holes

MIllingSecondLower_009.jpg

MIllingSecondLower_010.jpg

MIllingSecondLower_011.jpg

This took me about 3 hours. I like to go slow, the milling is a lot easier when you only remove a few 32's at a time.

I hit this one on the mark 1.251" for the trigger pocket!!!

I'm done for the night, will assemble the rest of the lower tomorrow, hopefully and then assemble the rest of the upper.

That is so awesome. Is your upper cerakoted FDE too?

That is so awesome. Is your upper cerakoted FDE too?

No the goal was to cerekote everything as a base cote and then rattle can the camo. The rest is black so I will need to add some rattle can FDE or close equiv as a bit of a base before continuing the rest of the camo so it will all blend in together. This is a hunting gun, so if does not have to be perfect. I am cutting corners on the paint but everything else should be as I planned.

Back