• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mini G Range Report + Video

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Headed out this morning to sight in my Mini G (Shuff's Parkerizing Modified Garand).

29554693886_4b2f2dfd6c_z.jpg

Goals:

Zero using irons 100 yards
Zero using Primary Arms Advanced Micro Red Dot yards

200 yard line try hitting a 10" steel plate with irons and red dot

Goal 1 - Sight using Irons

29588696865_f2e6a059ff_z.jpg

Fail. I bottomed out the rear sight aperture after discovering my shots were sailing over my board. Still hitting 8-10" hight. I placed the front sight at the very bottom of the orange 5" dot and it was clearly way too high.

I emailed Shuff and he will fix it by cutting down the aperture. I'll mail him the part in a couple days.

Pic of the high shots - 3 orange hits were probably me aiming much lower on the board. That Aperture was bottomed out for both 8 round clips.

29298447470_789c6a66b0_z.jpg

Goal 2 - Zero using Red Dot

Success. Used the Lower 1/3 method as the target acquisition was much faster. This set up does allow for a true co-witness and it was confirmed by another person at the range. Looking through the rear aperture the red dot sits right on the top of the front sight post.

Here's my final zero target:

29554695336_4e73106799_z.jpg

Knowing @oli700 prefers 5+ rounds to show true marksmanship I got off the bench, sat my skinny ass down and shot 12 rounds in a seated shooting position. Decent group:

29554733826_7bbc4020d8_z.jpg

Pulled a few. But hey that's the breaks you have to own up to them.

200 yard line:

I had 5 clips left to shoot so I wanted to play. I also recently picked up a POV camera I mounted to my ear pro (Replay XD 1080 Mini). So here's the 200 yard line from my POV shooting the Mini G and ringing in some steel.

Not as many hits as I would have liked but... hey... misses are on me.

Water Monkey - Keeping it real

29298447800_870d8a4ca1_z.jpg

Last edited:
We're you able to get down and get a good cheek weld?

An ok cheek weld on the irons. I can't bear down like I do on my O/U unless I get a comb raiser. Red Dot is a little lower on the cheek but no issues with any soreness on the recoil or the rifle kicking up on me. It's a smooth shooter. Just need to correct the rear aperture and it's a solid rifle.

Take about 15-20 clicks off of it. That should get her right. It's no longer a 500 meter firearm so losing the clicks for far away targets (past 300 meters) isn't an issue.

process took literally 30 seconds to get the rear aperture out using that video. Will mail to him this week.

Looking at the aperture now I bet he's gonna shave the bottom down. There's a 1/4" smooth area on the bottom that's probably what he's gonna bring down that will allow the rear aperture to bottom out and allow me to get the clicks I need to zero it.

Take about 15-20 clicks off of it. That should get her right. It's no longer a 500 meter firearm so losing the clicks for far away targets (past 300 meters) isn't an issue.
get it where it works but that thing will still drop someone at 1000 just like it is

get it where it works but that thing will still drop someone at 1000 just like it is

I wouldn't doubt it. But I need to work and refine my shooting positions. I've been shooting on the bench for far too long. If I was bench shooting I would have crushed the steel at 200 yards. But I wanted to see my true shooting skill. I was disappointed in the low % of direct hits. But I wasn't off very far at all. I'd definitely hit a man sized target out at 200 easy. But I don't like to make it easy on myself.

But I did like that "Dink" and the "Pings" whey they happened.

I'm seriously considering making my next build another Mini G in .308 Winchester. It handles so much better and feels better balanced at 16". But I'll finalize that decision after I put this through a carbine course.

Got my modified aperture in on Monday. Gonna hit the range on Sunday and finalize my zero on the red dot and the irons. Based on some ballistics sheets and reading up I'm going to battle sight zero at 200 yards.

if there is a bright side to the restrictions in your state , its being forced to buy a MiniG for a fighting gun......just the muzzle blast will kill a man

I'm not up on the rules but I'm assuming no detachable mags or you would be running a M14

are there ammo restrictions......like AP or things like that ?

man I want to shoot that rifle !.....whats it weigh configured/unloaded ?

I believe with all the bells and whistles its running at 10 pounds or a little less. That's the addition of the scout rail, muzzle brake, sling, laminated stock. Fully loaded probably 10.5 pounds

if there is a bright side to the restrictions in your state , its being forced to buy a MiniG for a fighting gun......just the muzzle blast will kill a man

I'm not up on the rules but I'm assuming no detachable mags or you would be running a M14

are there ammo restrictions......like AP or things like that ?

Rules are retarded here but in essence going with the Garand gave me the most latitude to do what I want.

The new laws changed the AWB criteria from 2 evil features to 1 evil features. So having a magazine fed semi auto + another feature made it an assault weapon. This includes - pistol grip, bayonet lug, muzzle brake/flash hider, forward mounted vertical grip.

The way around it was to chop off those features or make your firearm have a "FIXED" magazine which FUBARs all the advantages of a mag fed firearm. Or having an AR stock that didnt have a pistol grip which took the ergos away from it in reloading extremely fast and made it, in some mods, very unstable (look at the spur grip).

M14/M1A would need to have the flash hider removed which it has been But then you run into the other rules in NYS.... 10 round mag limits. Used to be 7 but the Federal Court of appeals voted that was arbitrary and capricous.... but somehow making something illegal based on cosmetic features isn't.... but I digress

So what are my advantages over the Garand vs M1A.... 2 rounds more for the M1A but I can do what ever I wanted to do with the Garand including keeping the bayo lug on the gas cylinder.

And thus my choice. Plus I'm building my mods on 100% forged receivers and USGI parts.

On line now. Was going to sit at 100 yards first but judging by the line behind me it would behoove me to just sit on the 200 and zero in on irons, re zero the red dot at 200..... Then put the plate back up.

Don't have much time today to play. Have to be home by noon.

Had some difficulty at 200 yards solving my zero with irons. Figured it out after 3 cease fires.

Gonna zero red dot.

Back