• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Misfire when changing barrel

Blindhawg1

Copper BB
Mav 88 with 18" barrel runs without missfires. When I added a used 28" barrel with choke tubes I got misfires. The next weekend I reinstalled the long barrel and ran 25 rounds without a hitch. Today I reinstalled the long barrel to pattern it with full choke and 3" turkey loads. Click, no bang! Retried several times with nothing but light primer dents. It fired the same round with the short barrel, no problem. Both barrels lock up tight in the receiver. There is a gap no more than 1/32" between the barrel lug and mag tube with either barrel. Any ideas?

Is one barrel counterbored deeper than the other one?

Okay now add in the gap between the receiver and the barrel for each gun and see what the difference is.

In the case of my Ranger just 0.005" was the difference between a reliable strike and an unreliable one.

That being said, I have seen shotgun shells with poorly seated primers that did not fire on the first shot because the primer itself moved a bit on the first strike. Some of those were like that from the factory and some were ones I reloaded.

I'm surprised they didn't ask for the receiver as well.

Back