• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Re: Mossberg 500 AT

Its my understanding that the a= 12 ga. t= tactical. ill post the email i got about my gun.

Edit postReport this postReply with quoteRe: Which Mossberg 500 Do You Have?
by justin22 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:05 pm

For those of us that are confused about the 500 A.T.P I have found the answer. this is the email reply i have gotten from the experts.

Sure thing

made approx 1978-1986 (send me your serial number and I can narrow that down for you)

A = 12 ga
TP = tactical police

This was a series of LE/Police shotguns with special purpose barels, stocks, accessories like heat shields, pistol grips, 18.5" barrels, some with sling stud in the barrel lug and even accessoty (bayonet) lugs on the 8-shot versions.

They still make these configurations and a whole lot more in the tactical field, but the just stopped stamping all the letters on the receiver . They just use 500A for all versions because the receivers and internal parts are all the same. Asyou know, with interchangeable barrels and stocks and a number of after-market accessory companies out there, within 5 minutes you could change a tactical shotgun to a sporting version and vice versa.

Thanks for your inquiry

Havlin Sales/Mossberg Collectors

On 11 Jan 2011 04:42:16 -0600

Re: Mossberg 500 AT

I inquired at Havlin Sales/Mossberg Collectors about the 500 AT at the suggestion of one of the above replys to my question. This is the answer I received:

A = 12 ga
T = promotional barrel

They used the close out barrels on the AT - mostly C-lect
chokes, but a 30" full would have been closed out about

Because you can swap out the barrels and stock
configurations on a 500 in about 5 minutes, they do not
use anything but 500A these days.

The 30" barrel is not made anymore. Save it and sell it
at a premium. Buy an 18.5" barrel from Mossberg direct.
800-363-3555 or http://www.mossberg.com. Click on accessories,
then barrels to view price, etc.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Havlin Sales/Mossberg Collectors
PO Box 487
Festus, MO 63028
636-937-6401

Re: Which Mossberg 500 Do You Have?

500CG 20 guage. It has the wood stock and forend but I will be swaping them out for synthetics with pistol grips.

Very nice! Let me know if you have any questions when deciding on a stock as I have no owned nearly every pistol grip stock for a Mossberg 500 available.

50420 Tactical Persuader 18" 6 shot - only addition is picatinney rail, so far. :D

500 Cruiser (or 590 Cruiser?)

So yeah, I know my 500 Cruiser is a 500, but what all came on it that is from the 590? I ask this because I went to buy a magazine tube cap with a sling swivel and mine does not have the 500 cap, it has the 590 cap (which I guess that means that it has the 590 magazine tube, which I am also guessing means the 590 extension would fit it if I ever opted for the 20" barrel). Does anyone know if there are anymore parts that I may buy that won't fit if they say they are for the 500 (by the way, I didn't get the 500 cap b/c I noticed it before I bought it).

Re: 500 Cruiser (or 590 Cruiser?)

Shane, I dont think you can switch to the 590 20" barrel. I could be wrong, but because of the 590's rings that go around the mag tube, it works with the 590 specific cap to lock it down. The 590 cap should have a hole in the end of it. Its threaded and will accept the the sling swivel stud.

What you can likely do, is get a 2 shell extension for the mag tube, and then use a clamp perhaps with a sling swivel.

EDIT:

I just checked out the pic you posted again. Unless you switch to the 590 18" barrel without the breacher choke, I dont think you'll even be able to add the shot extension.

That's what I was saying. I think my 500 had a 590 mag tube. I'm not worried about switch over to the 590 barrel or using an extension, I was just saying that because it might be an option in the future. I was just pointing out that I noticed that the regular 500 mag tube cap doesn't work with mine and that mine looked that the mag tube cap for the 590. And since I noticed that, I was asking if it was indeed a 590 mag tube cap and if it was, what else on my 500 was actually from a 590.

Attachments

• DSC01031.JPG
    DSC01031.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 612

Ohhhhhh! My bad!

Yeah, the mag cap and tube for sure. The retaining ring on the barrel is 590 typical too. Thats all I see at a glance. I havent seeen these up close yet.

When I get a chance, I can take some pictures and send them to you if you can let me know what parts you need to see in order to tell. Might even be worth setting up a FAQ or a sticky to help keep people from ordering the wrong parts for their shotgun when they go to upgrade stuff. I think it is a little odd that Mossberg built this shotgun as sortof a Frankenstein between the 500 and 590. After I learn what all parts are from which one, it won't be a big deal, I would just be pissed off if I ordered something for a 500, found out it didn't fit and then had to pay shipping to send the part back.

I agree the thread sounds like a good idea! There are a couple other people on here who will know better than I do about the "hybrid" 500/590. M24 is one of those. Hunter72 also I think would have a pretty good idea.

Yeah go for it, get a bunch of pics, but I think we have found the commonalities. The reciver, bolt trigger group and the like should all be 500590 interchangable. 590 and 500 receivers are the same, the bigger difference will be going from the 500/590 to a 590A1. The receiver would then be the aluminum alloy along with the safety and trigger gaurd. The 590A1 receivers are also stamped with "M590A1"

If you dont mind, pull the cap off the mag tube and get a pic of the end, like the other pic you posted, just with out the cap. There should be a hole in the end of it.

There is a hole with a little metal cap that has a slit cut in one side to make it easier to get back in after you take it out. The first day I got it, i took it apart to get the plug out because I couldn't get it to just shake out. I think the rubber grommet on the wooden dowel might have been getting caught in the spring, so I took the short end of an Allen wrench to pry it out. I'll take a picture here in just a minute and put it on here. By the way, my safety and trigger group are plastic (polymer?). Not sure if my barrel is a "heavy" barrel, but I'll yank it off and put a picture on here too.

I took those pictures. Had to get out of my uniform. I wear it enough, so it definitely feels nice being able to put some basketball shorts on when I get home.

Attachments

• DSC01038.JPG
    DSC01038.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 605
  • DSC01039.JPG
    DSC01039.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 605
Back