• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

This is my first post on this forum about my first Mossberg.

I am a long time owner of a couple Remington 870 12 gauges. One is setup for HD, the other is my hunting gun. I have thought about buying a Mossberg Mav 88, 500, or 590 recently and was hoping to pick up a good used one. Well, I got lucky this weekend at my local flea market and picked up a like new Mossberg 500. Not sure of the model but it is parkerized with a 20
inch barrel, full length mag tube, plastic furniture, and included a factory Mossberg pistol grip. I had the Pro Mag M4 style stock laying around because I bought it, sight unseen, thinking it was for an 870. I didn't care for the Mossberg factory stock so putting it on was my only option till I can get a Hogue 12 inch LOP stock/forearm set for this gun. I can't wait to run a couple boxes of shells through it, hopefully this coming Thursday, and then taking it apart and cleaning and familiarizing myself with a Mossberg 500's internals. A little more complex and a few more parts to deal with compared to an 870!

Attachments

• P4073359.JPG
    P4073359.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your "new to you" Mossy.

Thanks for the pic. Good lookin' shotty.:)

Congrats on a better, cheaper shotgun. Haha jk but cool, enjoy shootings. I would like to know your thoughts in comparison between your 870's and mossy after a few hundred rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first post on this forum about my first Mossberg.

I am a long time owner of a couple Remington 870 12 gauges. One is setup for HD, the other is my hunting gun. I have thought about buying a Mossberg Mav 88, 500, or 590 recently and was hoping to pick up a good used one. Well, I got lucky this weekend at my local flea market and picked up a like new Mossberg 500. Not sure of the model but it is parkerized with a 20
inch barrel, full length mag tube, plastic furniture, and included a factory Mossberg pistol grip. I had the Pro Mag M4 style stock laying around because I bought it, sight unseen, thinking it was for an 870. I didn't care for the Mossberg factory stock so putting it on was my only option till I can get a Hogue 12 inch LOP stock/forearm set for this gun. I can't wait to run a couple boxes of shells through it, hopefully this coming Thursday, and then taking it apart and cleaning and familiarizing myself with a Mossberg 500's internals. A little more complex and a few more parts to deal with compared to an 870!

This video should help. Helped me!
#!

Well, weather was good this evening and I ran about 60 or so rounds through my new to me Mossberg 500. I oiled it up with some Break Free before I started. It ran flawlessly! I shot 2 boxes of the cheapest shells Wal-Mart had. One Winchester, one Federal, both low brass (steel) rimmed target loads. If it will handle these crappy loads I will probably never have any problems. I shot some #4 buck and 00 buck I had too, perfect.

I decided to clean the gun when I came home. Gun came apart easy, and after cleaning and oiling the internals put it back together in front of the laptop. Watched the section of the video where the bolt, carrier, action bars line up a few times and
gun went together no problems. Gun runs a little smoother now. This video is very helpful for the first time Mossberg owner.

Thanks!

Mossy 500:
  • 17.5 " Barrell
  • Choate pistol grip and foregrip
  • Tacstar 4-shot side saddle
  • TacStar Universal Pump Shotgun Barrel Shroud
  • TruGlo Universal Fiber Optic Dot II (Green site)
  • Ncstar slim tactical LED flashlight kit

@LAZY EYED SNIPER (great screen name!) My dad had a buddy who used to own a gun shop (this was probably in the late 80's). Got it thru him. I dunno how but this was back in the days. haha.

Thanks, it's an old gamer tag.

So is your 500 a registered SBS? Or was it manufactured in that barrel length prior to 1968? If not I would keep the barrel length to yourself. You might end up with a few gentlemen from the ATF knocking on your door...

most likely Dad registered it as an SBS. It's mainly for home defense, but I do have the stock barrel too. ;)

how does one find what they have ? I emailed Mossberg 2 weeks ago with my ser # and asked for any info
on it. like what year it was made and what the AT means. know the A means 12ga but the T is confusing.
so far, nothing. is Mossberg that bad to its customers and fans ?

From what I can find, I think the AT was the police model.

Mossberg500AT.jpg

Not sure if there were other variations.

is Mossberg that bad to its customers and fans ?

No. They're actually quite good.

The model designations seem to be lost in time but I'll give it a shot.

They are all "500A" (or C, etc) which denotes gauge. A shotgun with more alphabet characters is an 'old' gun as everything these days is just 500A.

A 500ATP is a security/Persuader/defense gun. As in 12GA Tactical Police.

The two most common suffixes are 500AT and 500AB. These seem to be run-of-the-mill Mossbergs. Therefore the suffix means it is common and not anything specific. About the only differences you'll find in these guns are barrel, jeweled/engraved bolt, and maybe the wood and safety.

thanks guys ! the barrel is a 26" improved barrel. nothing special about the bolt. has wood like the above but the stock is plain with a thin plastic butt plate. the safety is steel that was from the factory. I have read that the T is for tactical or trap. I think trap. but again it sure would be nice to know what I have from the factory specially the year it was made. also the front barrel screw, take down screw, does not have a threaded hole in it.

Did you use the "contact us" page on their website?

If so you may not get a response. I would send your request with serial number info to the contact below:

Ms. Norma Martinez
martinezn@mossberg.com

Ms. Norma has helped out many of us here and should be able to provide the information you need...

Back