• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Re: 500 Cruiser (or 590 Cruiser?)

Yup, def the 590 mag tube. That cap on the inside comes out so you can clean the whole thing. The 590A1 doesnt even have a dowel rod. The barrel I'm certain is of 500/590 persuasion, not the heavy wall barrel of the 590A1. In this case, its the 590 18.5". But behind the barrel and magazine, I'd say the rest is a 500, which strange as it may be, is completely interchangable with a 590.

So, for your application, anything (aftermarket) that will fit a 500 or a 590 will work and fit with little exception. (being the barrel and magazine as those are 590 specific)

Good thread, and good points. There are some "hybrid" models out there.

500 general build date?

Hi all.
I'm sure this comes up a bit, But I bought a used 500 with a 28" barrel and wood furniture, It has a Jxxxxxx serial number, I'm trying to figure out if its an old or new style Shot gun, Would any of you happen to know off hand?
I bought it for just over $100 so I'm quite happy about that, It had broken trigger guard clips that I managed to fix with my own repair kit, So we shall see how it holds up, I am looking for a metal trigger assembly like my M590A1, But most places seem to be sold out.
Thanks for any info.
Brian

Re: 500 general build date?

Thought I would post a pic.

5485579373_c39165845e_z.jpg

Thanks again
Brian

If you contact Cheryl or Victor at http://www.havlinsales.com/ you may be able to determine the general build date for your Mossberg 500. They are the experts in that field and are an absolute wealth of knowledge. Let them know that Mossberg Owners sent you and report back what you end up finding.

DHonovich said:
If you contact Cheryl or Victor at http://www.havlinsales.com/ you may be able to determine the general build date for your Mossberg 500. They are the experts in that field and are an absolute wealth of knowledge. Let them know that Mossberg Owners sent you and report back what you end up finding.

Ditto! Theyre very good at getting back to folks promptly! Tell them Mossberg Owners says hi! There have been a few others who have deferred to their knowledge (I have no idea if I used "deferred" correctly here!) They may even be able to help with the trigger group, if not try AIMPRO.

That is a beautiful 500 Brian!

I asked for general and thats about what I got :lol:

Cheryl said:
Hi Brian - these date from 1983-1987 - depending on parts
that you might need, some are "old style" and some are new
style.

I guess when I get home I will double check the numbers to see at what range I am closer to and report back.

Good deal! They got ya in the ball park! ;)

Welp...
Its a J529xxx so I'm going to split that and say its a mid to late 1985
Nice to know, But I still need to research what old and new parts are, I do know it has the longer action slide and my new trigger assembly fits, But I guess we shall see whats what as we go along.
Thanks again.

Re: Which Mossberg 500 Do You Have?

Mine is a Mossberg Model No. 50588 - Parkerized 7+1 Shot Persuader (And A Thing Of Beauty To Me!):

MOSSBURG.jpg

I love it man! After the 20" 590A1 (51660) the Persuader is my favorite model! I really like the finish on yours, is it duracoated or is that the factory matte finish? I am (eventually) sending mine to be duracoated.

Mine is the standard Parkerized finish. I understand it's supposed to be more corrosion resistant than bluing, and the quality of the parkerized finish on guns for sale today looks superior to that of blued versions I've seen. There usually doesn't seem to be much cost difference.

Well its sweet man, I really like it!

I have the 500 Persuader 12ga.

Attachments

• Mossberg500.jpg
    Mossberg500.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 903

Can't beat a Mossberg 500 persuader. I have one myself.

So, I fixed my old trigger for this 500 with a fix it kit someone on another forum posted up about.

5487589040_892093476a_z.jpg

5487589274_93cc83f40b_z.jpg

Well it lasted all of 14 rounds before it broke again, This time it was the upper part of the trigger shown in the top pic.
Any how, I ordered a new plastic one from Midway, I received it today and I notice it is a different type of plastic, More of a nylon feel over the "Bakelite" type smooth plastic, Does anyone know when and if there was a material change smoewhere along the way? Either way if this trigger will last 25+ years, I will be quite pleased.
Have fun.

Sorry to hear that the kit didn't fix your issue but glad that you finally got it all figured out. Thanks for updating us!

500 ATP

24 1/2 inch barrel with front and rear sights,8 shot tube ,wooden stock /forend

Back