• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Re: Project 500 HD Police Service

Ok, time for an opinion. I am going to have stop on this to dodge in between thunderstorms and hopfully get my wheat field (Lawn) hacked down but I was going to scuff up the now empty receiver, more than it already is, of the 500 and turn it flat black. Flat black or leave it glossy? The barrel is of course flat grey and the stocks that are going on it are Hogue OD green. Let me know what you guys think and I'll check back after the mowing excursion.

Wolfgang

I think the flat or matte will go best with the OD green and barrel finish.

On another note, I began a review of the Meprolight. Please feel free to add anything to it you can!

Definitely some matte black finish!

Can't wait to see how it turns out. I've always enjoyed seeing someone turn stock into custom, no matter what the item.

Ok, I finally made it off the mower just in time by the looks of it outside. :evil: So the winning vote so far has been flat black so that's what it is! Rossignol is this the sight you are reveiwing?
I just got it fit properly and screwed into the barrel before chopping down two acres of grass.
Here is the side view of it...
Here are the rest of the pieces and parts..
Time to get started on making shiney things look dull!!! :lol:

More to come......................

Wolfgang

Attachments

• HPIM3487.JPG
    HPIM3487.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 798
  • HPIM3488.JPG
    HPIM3488.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 798
  • HPIM3489.JPG
    HPIM3489.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 798

Yep! Thats the same bead! Thanks for putting that pic up!

We'll be waiting to see how it all goes!!!

I have the ghillie tan Hogue stock set! Those recoil pads are great!

Ok, I have to keep this one short cause it's late but here is the outcome of refinishing the receiver and the magazine tube....before
and after....

It turned out ok I guess. I spent two hours scrubbing parts down. :cry: I don't know how the trigger on the thing still worked at all with all the crud, weed seeds, powder residue and other assorted things that had been growing in it. I guess that's an endorsment as to how tough and reliable these shotguns really are. I am certain that the thing hasn't been cleaned since it left the factoy.

More later,

Wolfgang

Attachments

• HPIM3491.JPG
    HPIM3491.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 788
  • HPIM3494.JPG
    HPIM3494.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 788
  • HPIM3498.JPG
    HPIM3498.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 788

Wolfgang12 said:
I don't know how the trigger on the thing still worked at all with all the crud, weed seeds, powder residue and other assorted things that had been growing in it. I guess that's an endorsment as to how tough and reliable these shotguns really are.

Yep, its a Mossberg!

Well it's as done as it is going to be until I can find another way to mount the light I want on it. I was giong to use a small rail mounted on the slide but where I want to put it, the light won't fit freely on it and interfers with the barrel. I added a Wolff exra power magazine spring with a red annodized aluminum follower.
I also added a new safety button with a tab. I reversed it so the tab is towards the rear were my short stubby thumb can get to it! :roll:
this is the safety....

The rest of the gun and pics of the finished product will follow.....

Wolfgang

Attachments

• HPIM3503.JPG
    HPIM3503.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 782
  • HPIM3504.JPG
    HPIM3504.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 782
  • HPIM3501.JPG
    HPIM3501.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 782

Looks great! What magazine follower is that?

Here is the side saddle....

Here is a pic of ths sight installed on the barrel as well as the swivel studs.....

The final installment to follow.

Wolfgang

Attachments

• HPIM3516.JPG
    HPIM3516.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 784
  • HPIM3508.JPG
    HPIM3508.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 785
  • HPIM3509.JPG
    HPIM3509.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 785

Dan, not really sure who makes it because I got it off gunbroker and I think it is a repackaged item that is put into the sellers packaging. It is a really high quality piece though. I was worried about it until it got here and I saw it. The seller is northwoodsoutpost on gunbroker. Here is the finished product minus the light..... and with OO Buck in the side saddle......

I think I'll shop around for some sort of rail that clamps to the mag tube and barrel.

Best to all,

Wolfgang

Attachments

• HPIM3518.JPG
    HPIM3518.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 780
  • HPIM3519.JPG
    HPIM3519.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 781

Just came back in from running about 50 rounds through it. Assorted full power 00 Buck, reduced recoil 00 Buck shot shells and a slug. Runs like a topand I have agree with you Rossignol, I'm liking that Hogue stock. No time to pattern it but it seems ok. I was shooting at a bowling pin hanging from a rope on my target frame and was smacking it around pretty good at 10 yards or so. I saved the slug for last and it hit the base of the neck area and cut the pin in half :twisted: All in all a fun gun. Need to surf the web for a rail to mount my steam light on. Anyone ever tried the one from Laserlyte?

Thanks,
Wolfgang

DHonovich said:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=299 is a review of the Laserlyte tri rail.
I am currently using the CDM gear mount and have been very impressed with it.

Wolfgang!!! I dig it man!!! Looks sweet! I too like the CDM Gear clamps. The CDM BMT (barrel mag tube) clamp may work well for you. It will come with a 3 slot rail with whitch to mount a light! For the Streamlight, you will still need a picatinny mount ring for the light. On another note, a TLR would be ready to mount!

Thanks guys. I have not had much time here of late with graduations, T-ball and work. I will look into the CDM mount. I've got an older Insight Technology M3 that I was planning on using on it but I also have a TLR 3 that resides on my AR that might find it's way there.

VERY NICE WORK!!!
BTW- after I did my 500C 20ga, I sold the wood furniture on ebay for $80!

Back