• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Monday AM Range Report

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Thanks for the new forum guys.

At the range this AM I shot 30 rounds through the Mossberg 464 & 100 rounds through the .22 Henry lever carbine. I also shot 18 rounds of .38sp through the Evil Roy.

I'll have to photo the other targets & I'll post up the .30-30 targets tonight.

I took this one pic with a cell phone, through the Leupold spotting scope. . .

25yds. Iron sights,
Federal Gold Medal
40grn target loads.

I put 5 in the 9 ring, after a ceremonial cold shot, which was in the 7.

20160606_080755.jpg (The lone shot at the left was a wild shot from another gun.)

That was my best group with the .22 today.

All the guns handled well, and I got to shoot some custom loads and some custom guns.

To be continued...

OK, this is the first Target that I shot with my Mossberg Mariner .30-30 carbine. I had just mounted the scope in the new Kwiksite (modified) mount & I wasted a lot of ammo getting it tuned.

50 yds. Light but gusting wind.
Hornady American Whitetail 150grn.
EDIT: in all cases I was shooting from a tackdriver sandbag, while sitting at a concrete bench.

I took 10 shots closer first, to dial in the scope roughly, so the gun was warmed up, but still, each re-load let it cool enough to always seem slightly off on the first shot.
20160607_183147.jpg
Unfortunately shots 3 and 4 were both flinches, but 5, 6, 9 & 10 made a nice pattern on center with 1 & 2, so I just dropped the scope. I was somehow thinking "100 yards" at the time and dropped it twice the necessary distance.

Second target. Same ammo:

On the first 5, I was shooting the orange dot. I adjusted the scope back up several clicks and finally hit the dot.

On shots number 5 thru 10, I was shooting for the bullseye. I was wild at first, but homed in again by the last round.

At that point I was completely out of ammo and targets.
20160607_183628.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Something happened here. I SCREWED UP & and I lost a page of range report...

Last edited:
While I was able to get on target, I was not shooting very consistently with the .30-30.

I was shooting against my buddy who has a .30-30 Winchester 94 with 20" barrel & iron sights.

Having a scope I beat him handily. But when we switched guns the opposite was true.

His Winchester 94 was a nice solid old gun from 1965. While a bit envious we both agreed that the Mossberg was a better shooter even with the 16 inch barrel.

The model 94:
20160509_175937.jpg
20160509_175809.jpg

Mossberg 464 Mariner carbine with Leupold vx-1 and Kwiksite scope mount (modified) from a Thompson muzzleloader.
14653913083781533550985.jpg
While other parts ( most notably the bolt) are different, Mossberg virtually copied the Winchester 94 trapdoor (link), lock bolt, and lever mechanism.
20160608_061554.jpg

Shooting buddy Bobby with his single shot lever action Winchester .22 rolling Block.
20160606_080538.jpg

Business view of the Leupold vx-1 on Kwiksite mount.
20160608_061622.jpg

Last edited:
In that last photo you can see that I was in a hurry when I sanded down the cut off end.
It was about 1:30 AM when I cut that & re-drilled it. :zzz:

BTW, Bobby refinished that old .22 himself and he did a beautiful job of it.

Caddmann,
Could you ask your friend for me, what powders beside H-LVR that he has tried for your 30-30? I have several that are listed for the caliber but I want to whittle down that number.
Thanks
h

Dang, you're doin some nice work! The 464 and modifications are looking good!

Caddmann,
Could you ask your friend for me, what powders beside H-LVR that he has tried for your 30-30? I have several that are listed for the caliber but I want to whittle down that number.
Thanks
h

I did, but he's off somewhere. No reply yet.

Dang, you're doin some nice work! The 464 and modifications are looking good!

Thank you. I managed to get it on pretty straight and very tight, and I did it without scratching everything up much too, but I'm not a real machinist. Just a hobbiest with a few clases in the industrial arts and industrial engineering experience. I'm really a computer guy.

Not to say that I haven't cut holes on a computer with a drill and a Dremel before. I couldn't afford great computers when I was young.

I was building hot rod computers from bits of other computers, the same way kids build hot rod cars out of bits of other cars, back in my dad's day.

There's another picture of the quick side scope mount and you can see how much clearance I filed into it for a nice clean ejection. I hugged it out with the grinder and then finished by hand with Jewelers files and a bit of sanding screen.

I didn't buff it out perfect but it works fine.

gap1.jpg

That's kind of fuzzy but I think you get the idea. I ground off the lip in that area completely, until that edge was the same thickness as minimum thickness of the bar. Then I just rounded it off nicely with the file so nothing would catch.

No I'm thinking that the gun would look better if I did the same thing to the opposite side to open up the visual clearance above the receiver.

Then again with the Kwiksite mount you get plenty of that.

Last edited:
Well my buddy says he's been loading the .30-30s with IMR 3031.

He's been loading the .223s with TAC and H322.

I received an email from a shooter of the 464 who works for Mossberg and he said his rifle shoots the Fed and Winchester 150s and 170s best. Heavier bullets seem to be the most consistent in factory loads. Mine shot pretty well also with factory Federal 150s or 170s but I can't match the factory loads with their boxes as all the new factory loads go into plastic 50 or 100 rd boxes. I think I had 170s but cannot say for sure. But, the man also said today's higher velocities work the best. Too bad he can't recommend a reload recipe...

Back