• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin nagant scope questions

I am putting a scope on my mosin and I elected to not have the gun drilled and tapped for mounts. Instead I am using the dive tail mount that was under the sight that was in the gun. My problem is with were the scope mounts the gun. I need a scope with an eye relief of around 8-10 inches. I want one like what I had planned on using which was. 4x16x50, I had it at the time, and I know that seems a bit much. Even if I could find a 3x9x50 I would be happy I just do not know of any scope like this that have the eye relief I need. The pictures attached are of the gun with a 3x9x40. And a 4x16x50. You can see how far away it sits. Anyone know of any scopes that would work for me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6
Have you looked into any scout scopes or scopes meant to be mounted in the scout rifle position? If not Google em and take a look

Yes I have and I can't seem to pull any up on my ipad here. I'm not back at my apt and this is my only source to google off of. I'll try again though am I just not gonna find any scope like I would want?? Is that that a hard scope to find?

the more magnafication you want the less eye relief you get .....your wanting 8 to 10" in a variable, tall order

There are plenty of long eye relief scout scopes available, but most are fixed power and nowhere near the magnification you're looking for...

Check out OpticsPlanet.com and run a site search for "scout scope".

There should be plenty of options to look through...

That's what I have been seeing.. Are there any 2x7x 40 scopes?

Yeah Leupold has a very nice 2x7 that's about a 40-44mm objective lense that has some good eye relief that sounds like it would be the hot ticket on your "moist nugget". If I was going to scope one of my "moist nuggets" this is surely the scope I would look very hard at if using a mount like the Brass Stacker which what I am assuming. I see these mounted on Ruger Super Redhawks and Smiths X Frame revolvers so they have the eye relief your looking for and can definitely hold up to the recoil of the 7.62x54R. Having used one of these before I can tell you that the glass is high quality as you would expect from this company, have a life time warranty I believe and provide a very clear sight picture. That 2x7 magnification will let you reach out there about as far as 90% of the folks out there in gun land can accurately shoot and hit something. Last I saw it was running somewhere in the neighborhood of about 200 fun dollars or there abouts. The only real problem I think you may run into is the fact that this arrangement is going to place that scope a bit high and getting a good solid and repeatably comfortable cheek weld to the factory issued stock may be a problem for you. If that's the case you can use one of the leather for padded synthetic cheek risers that will tie/lash to the stock and solve that issue without permenantly modifying the gun stock.

Back