• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 100 ATR Bolt Action Troubleshooting

Yea true that his friend said on record he seen him threw it 2 times then he him self admittedhe couldnt remember much about the day as to whether or not he had taken pills or smoked marjuania so that there with the alcohol tells you hes not the brightest crayon in the 36 pack box heard there was 2 more cases but 1 got thrown out before anything could come to light as to what had happened the other got thrown out also but it was a grandfather who passed the gun to his grandson and it went off also didnt make it far but alittle farther then the other case did

I wanted to ask any ATR .270 owners if they have the same thing happen or something may be wrong with just my .270.
When I fire my rifle or dry fire, the bolt lift increases 4 fold I have to guess. Does anyone else experience this or should I take it in ?
If I don't fire I can lift with a pinky and almost no pressure. Once fired takes considerable pressure to lift it.
Lazyeyed has suggested to much pressure on the bolt stop. Which doesn't sound like a bad diagnosis without seeing it. Just wanna ask a few other 270 owners before I take it in for a couple hundred bucks to tell me nothings wrong now that deer season is over. ( NO didn't get a chance to pull the trigger this yr) :cry:

It has been about 35 years ago my dad was a gunsmith ran across a sticky bolt situation and come to find out it was the ammo. He ran across it twice. Once defective ammo from a manufacturer can't remember the name but they sent a rep to talk to my dad about it and corrected the problem and apprectiated it so much they sent him a free box of ammo for each caliber gun he owned untill my dad pass away in 91. The 2nd was on reloaded ammo. Seems the so call reloader keep reloading the brass to many times until a friend of my dad threaten to sue the guy because it jack up his brand new weatherby. The brass case in both cases was to weak for the pressure that was being generated.

I bought two Trophy Hunters from Dicks 308 and a 30-06 Wood beech? stocks with plastic mags
mags is the same as used in my 4x4
I inspected the two and found that the front guard screws on Both Rifles bottoming out in the receiver and hitting the barrel threads causing the guard screws to be tight BUT not the barrel/Receiver to be tight in the Plastic Bedding.
I placed two .040 washers in the stock where the guard screw seats on one and one washer on the other. Suggest that Owners check there rifles The front guard screw hole counter sink was machined/drilled to deep in Both of my Trophy Hunters. Havent had a chance to shoot them yet but will post later .
May go back to Dicks and buy a 270 have a 243 with blind mag with a Boyds stock on it shoots Great.

Hi everyone, I am new here and I joined up because I received a 100 ATR .308 night train from my father who barely ever shot it. I have only fired it about 25x before the extractor pin snapped off. I noticed the bolt feels very loose and I am no gun smith so I've been trying to resolve issue by looking for a whole new bolt, dealing with mossburg customer service has been a real disappointment and I haven't been able to find any parts dealers who have anything for this gun. Does anyone know of a way for me to just order a new bolt or any dealers who could help me ?

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear about you problem with your ATR.
We have a contact at Mossberg you could email who has been very helpful to members here.

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Shot him an email and see what he suggests. Depending on the age of the rifle, it might be warranted.

Keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear about you problem with your ATR.
We have a contact at Mossberg you could email who has been very helpful to members here.

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Shot him an email and see what he suggests. Depending on the age of the rifle, it might be warranted.

Keep us posted.
Thank you very much, I have been emailing the customer service but have had no reply, I doubt it is still under warranty, my father passed 2 years ago and gave it to me shortly before. All I have is the gun and nothing that states where or when he purchased it. Would love to have it fixed and working properly to have something to pass down to the next generation. Thanks again.

When you email Joe I would include the serial number.
They will know the date of birth from that.

Thanks Bob,
I appreciate the info. It is under warranty. It was nine days old when I initiated the contact.
There are several (unrelated) issues actually so I would feel better having them pick it up and go through it thoroughly. Funny part is that it closes and locks just fine with an empty chamber. Go figure.

I really do love Mossberg and my M'berg rifles (especially the 100 ATRs).
That's why this is so disappointing to me.

They really need to make this right

Jeff,

You probably already have this resolved, but just to be sure. I have a Mossberg 100 ATR Trophy Hunter chambered in 30-06. It is about 6 months old and I bought it second hand, sight unseen to help out a friend in financial need. I too believed in the Mossberg Quality based on their shotguns. Well, anyway, I was sighting in the rifle at the range the other day with 150 gr Remington factory ammo. I went through the first box and half way through the second when I attempted to chamber a round, and while it slide forward and found home, I was unable to turn the bolt down to fully chamber the round. I attempted several times without trying to force it too much. I gave up and fired all but the last two rounds. I successfully chambered those last two but didn't fire them. I wanted to measure the one round against the other two. It would appear that the one offending round was just slightly longer at the shoulder (About .001 inch) than all the others in both boxes. I handload so when I returned home, first measured the 3 rounds and then I pulled the bullet, poured out the powder, oiled the primer (to deactivate it) and then pressed the primer out. Next I full-length resized the case and then reloaded the cartridge to the same specs as the two factory rounds. Now the round chambers just fine. What bothers me is that this same round before I resized it chambered just fine in my Springfield M1903A3 and my M1917 Enfield without issue but still would not chamber in the Mossberg.

Additionally, The same rounds I fired at the range to sight in the scope, when I neck sized the cartridges and reloaded them to the same Cartridge Overall Length, will chamber just fine, but the extractor will not seat fully to extract the cartridges. This really bothers me because these cases are now fire formed to the Mossberg and are now a perfect fit for that chamber... Apparently, the headspace on my Mossberg (and it sounds like yours too) is very tight. Perhaps a bit too tight.

Hope these observations and experiments help you and anyone else experiencing these symptoms.

I wanted to ask any ATR .270 owners if they have the same thing happen or something may be wrong with just my .270.
When I fire my rifle or dry fire, the bolt lift increases 4 fold I have to guess. Does anyone else experience this or should I take it in ?
If I don't fire I can lift with a pinky and almost no pressure. Once fired takes considerable pressure to lift it.
Lazyeyed has suggested to much pressure on the bolt stop. Which doesn't sound like a bad diagnosis without seeing it. Just wanna ask a few other 270 owners before I take it in for a couple hundred bucks to tell me nothings wrong now that deer season is over. ( NO didn't get a chance to pull the trigger this yr) :cry:

You may want to put some rifle grease on the ramp where the bolt body assembly the firing pin assembly meet just behind the bolt handle. Be advised that the added "bolt lift" is normal as you are pulling the firing pin back against the firing pin spring. The grease will just reduce the amount of "bolt lift".

On my .30-06 ATR the final round pops out of the magazine as soon as the bolt touches it. Anybody have "quick fix" advice? I read somewhere that leaving spent shells/snap caps in the magazine to loosen the sping helps, so I currently have 3 in there. Thanks.
-John

Hello all! Disregard my last post. I just did a thorough cleaning of my ATR. Turns out the spring in the magazine wasn't properly seated in the raised area of the stock. The riser now operates flawlessly and each round (snap caps) used also chambered perfectly. Have a great weekend everyone!

Back