• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 12 ga. + pistol grip + 00 buck?

So I'm watching this movie "Dark Blue" the other day. It stars Kurt Russell as a dirty cop, but I didn't even see the ending b/c of the appearance of 2 pistol grip shotguns in the final scenes distracted me. Now I can't tell if they were Mossbergs, but the lady cop's looked like a 18.5" barrel and Kurt's looked like a shorty since the barrel ended at the end of the slide. Now I know I shouldn't look to action movies for realistic firearms scenarios, but both shotguns were being fired at eye level!

The point of that story is that it reminded me of when I put the pistol grip that came with my basic 500 model (with the 18.5" barrel.) My father in law had gotten me some of that Hornady Zombie Max 00 shells more as a joke since I like Walking Dead and all things zombie.

Some of you may already be smiling, but I certainly wasn't after I emptied 1 tube full of 5+1 shells, leaving the the inside of my thumb and index finger red and eventually swollen & sore. Luckily I fired closer to the hip so that I didn't smash my face, but it left me wondering am I just a big p*ssy or is this to be expected using a plain pistol grip with that shot size? I know there are fancier, shock-absorbing grips, but what is the shot size that can be comfortably shot without my hand feeling it the next day?

Hollywood loads are just blanks with little/no recoil.

I guess I'm a wimp as well, I've never found any load I could shoot comfortably from a pistol grip only shotgun.

Use the Low Recoil 00 buck and you will be OK. It still will give you some snap to your hand but is controllable and more comfortable to shoot. Low Recoil slug is also no problem from a pistol grip Mossberg.

My first 500 was pistol grip most of its life. There is a technique for absorbing the recoil....like when you get in a scrap....roll with the punch. Don’t fight the recoil, let it go ....don’t muscle up on the grip trying to slow it down. I could shoot 3" turkey loads one handed and hit grouse at 20 yards....private property disclaimer…..I felt it but it was repeatable and didn’t leave my hand sore unless I shot like 10 or so consecutive. The stock Mossberg grip is the most punishing, almost any grip will be nicer. I really like birds head grips too , takes almost all the abuse off of the web of your hand if held properly

Oli700 is correct, don't fight the recoil roll with it. To get a sense of how to do this follow this link to see Rob use the push-pull technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiX ... ata_player. I personally like to stand slightly bladed with my weak side leg slightly forward with both knees bent. This allows my body to roll with the recoil.

Next time at the range I plan to try Paul Castles C.A.R. technique for operating a shotgun in close quarters.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

That's good advice. Now that I recall, I probably was murdering the grip in anticipation of the recoil. Maybe I'll try a new grip and this technique. If I can type the next day, I'll tell you how it goes!

For new grips I would look at Blackhawk Spec Ops and the ATI Talon with scorpion recoil pad. I have used the Spec Ops on a Remington 870 and it really reduces felt recoil. DHonovich on this board has posted positive reviews of the ATI stock.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

If you want to shoot a pistol grip that close to your face... you assume all liability for any damages incurred!! :lol: :lol:

Now, I had a PG on my 500 for quite a while before ending up with my stock. I have fired A SHIT TON of ammunition through it. #12 - 00 Buck and Full Power Slugs. I do not suggest 00 Buck or Slugs as regular everyday consumption with a PG but #4 Buck isn't too bad. Field Loads and Skeet Loads are more then manageable. I must say however, this is certainly decided by the tolerance too pain the End User (YOU) has...

i too used to feel this with my factory pistol grip.

i purchased the hickok45 style and i get less wrist fatigue. and i can shoot longer with a pistol grip with my new style grip.

i will get some vids when i get a chance shooting both at the range.

the raptor grip by shockwave tech.

its easier to hit the slide release with the raptor grip and its tighter when i have it in my hands.

best pistol grip for the mossy in a pistol grip config.

Back