• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 338 Win Mag 4x4 Trigger Lighten Question

Gary Murray

.270 WIN
I brought my Mossberg 338 Win Mag 4x4 to a gunsmith last year to get the trigger lightened to 3 pounds. He managed to lighten it to 3 1/2 pounds. I still want it knocked back to 3 pounds but he says he would have to order a spring kit to do that and it will cost me another $40.00 to have it done. Is there only so much you can lighten a trigger? I don't mind getting a spring kit but i don't like the fact that i have to pay another $40.00 for something that i've already paid to have done in the first place.

I would imagine that it is as light as the gunsmith could take it safely or as light as he was comfortable setting it. But I'm not a gunsmith. Maybe someone else has a better answer for you.

all your gunsmith did was polish the mating surfaces.....He couldn’t get it to 3# , he told you all that’s left is the springs but it will cost you an additional 40 bucks.....the answer will not change no matter who you ask.
The only thing I can think of is to start digging around for a trigger/hammer spring kit of the desired weight and put it in yourself, might save you a couple bucks, try Wolff for the springs

Back