• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Reviews...

Well Hombre, I know at one point you we're so frustrated you were about ready to turn it into a boat paddle, or a wall decoration or a war club or something more useful than a 464.

:D

I will say this about mine: I am certain I have not achieved the accuracy that this rifle will attain; but I don't believe that that number will ever be very impressive, and perhaps not even impressive for a 30-30.

It took me quite a bit of effort to get the gun to run correctly, partly because of excess coating in the receiver, and partly because I jammed it when it was new and scuffed that coating up, and then jacked up the extractor when I removed it from the bolt improperly.

Now that all of those things are fixed I'm at a point where I'm ready to start playing with the gun a little bit to try and make it more accurate, but I keep buying other guns to distract me from this exercise. Also I have not successfully made many good handloads for the 30-30. That is another issue that I have wanted to work on.

But this summer I've been distracted by a lot of boating and fishing and boat repair and fixing up my backyard and the 464 has languished half-forgotten in the back of my safe.

Well Hombre, I know at one point you we're so frustrated you were about ready to turn it into a boat paddle, or a wall decoration or a war club or something more useful than a 464.

:D

I will say this about mine: I am certain I have not achieved the accuracy that this rifle will attain; but I don't believe that that number will ever be very impressive, and perhaps not even impressive for a 30-30.

It took me quite a bit of effort to get the gun to run correctly, partly because of excess coating in the receiver, and partly because I jammed it when it was new and scuffed that coating up, and then jacked up the extractor when I removed it from the bolt improperly.

Now that all of those things are fixed I'm at a point where I'm ready to start playing with the gun a little bit to try and make it more accurate, but I keep buying other guns to distract me from this exercise. Also I have not successfully made many good handloads for the 30-30. That is another issue that I have wanted to work on.

But this summer I've been distracted by a lot of boating and fishing and boat repair and fixing up my backyard and the 464 has languished half-forgotten in the back of my safe.

Hey Cadd, You are right. I have left it set for a long time now and will be trying a few new loads as time permits. I will be loading for the MMR so that may take some time. The MVP shoots tighter than a gnats patoot stretched over a rainbarrel. So, If the factory ammo shoots as good as it did and if I load some more 125 grainers that shoot as good as they did, I will see what I can do to match the factory ammo. Starting fresh again may be the best thing I have done. But, someone said I may be expecting benchrest accuracy out of a cowboy gun. Maybe stretching it a bit but I did some sweet shooting once and then never again. Something happened and now I don't even remember how I left it all standing...good or bad.

I will see what is up. Could be the scope too. I will mount the scope on the MMR and I will find out. It may not like the recoil but may like the MMR better. Here's hoping.

Back