• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Scopes, Rings, and Bases

20151028_185506_zpstzkeq8mq.jpg
20151026_130558_zpsugq0iy8u.jpg
HI folks, I'm new here but been following this thread for a little while.
I ran into a couple issues with my installation.

Mossy 464 lever
Scope is hawk optic 2-7-32
Base are 2x Weaver 403 (48107)
Ring's Weaver grand slam medium (49302)

My first problem happened with the scope. The total 1" tube of the scope was too short for the base positions. So I had to invert one or the other. Tried both, but the scope felt where it should be with the front one 180 degrees inverted. I was a tiny bit worried that it would cause a problem for the shell extraction. I extracted an empty shell like 10x and it ran fine. It's not hitting the scope nor jamming anywhere.

Second problem is the parallax on the front of my scope. It's rubbing against the rear open sight. I've always read that the only issues with the 464 was the sights. God, took me just one little tap to remove it. They are flimsy!!!

That issue gone, scope sits where it should be, and my parallax is free to move. Even with the medium height rings, I still see a tiny bit of the front sight trough the scope.. Of well. It's not in the way, just visible.

Third concern was the rear hammer been not very accessible under the scope. I don't see how lower rings could work with a scope on this specific rifle.... I added a hammer gizmo allowing me to cock it diseways.

The last addition to the bare gun was 2 swivels for a sling. There's a specific set of swivels that will attach directly to the front loading tube.

Here's a few pictures of my issues, and gizmos.
20151026_140623_zps69cz6xjn.jpg

20151028_185257_zpspv3hn7po.jpg

20151028_185307_zpsmlfjev4l.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings Qc! A lot of great Info...Thank You! I Did know about turning the front Weaver 403 around 180° from when I was researching scopes & mounts. I really should invest in the swivel sling hardware. Right now, I'm one step up from slinging mine with a piece of rope with a granny knot on both ends! lol!
Hillbilly, I know, but I haven't really been on a long trek in the woods with mine. Just to the range and back.
With the scope that you have, it looks like you Really would be happy with a Scout Rail from XS. It sure would help with the issue of hammer access. I really haven't done a whole lot of scope shooting. If I had your setup, I'm Absolutely Sure that I would be "That Guy" at the range with the Crescent shaped eye injury from having my peeper too close to the scope...& visa versa. Haha!
Other than the few minor issues, How do you like your 464?

It's fairly new and haven't used it yet.. I bought this from a Co worker who decided to buy a bigger caliber. This rifle shot 1/2 box of shells and that's it. There's no a scratch on it.. Yet.. My 30-06 is too long for the dirty land we hunt deer. I felt sorry for all the scratches I made to my Leupold scope last year.. So this was the perfect opportunity for me to add an arm to my collection. I paid 100$ for it. So it's a hell of a deal. The scope on it is far from expensive. I Actually had it on my. 270 for several years until suddenly it foged up between lenses. Sent it back to the company and 5 days later I had this one brand new in box without question asked. Can't complain...

I finally mounted a scope on my 464.

This is a virtually perfect old 4x Tasco from the 1960's, and my best friend gave it to me.

I wanted a one-piece rail to mount it because mine is a carbine and has a goodly recoil, so I bought this one from a Thompson, and re-drilled it to fit.

I had to notch it at the ejection port, so I hogged it out on the bench grinder and finished it up with various files and scotchbrite. It still needs paint.

20160206_230427-1.jpg
The rings look high but they're just right for me. This scope was on a .30-'06 for years, so it should handle the 464 OK.

Here the scope is off & you can see the notch better.

20160206_223900.jpg

Last edited:
This is a better pic of the notch, and another Thompson rail for comparison.

I bought 2 for $10 each at Dicks. I wanted spare screws and a spare rail in case I screwed up with the grinder.

20160206_223706.jpg

Instead I screwed up one of the counterbores and you can see it in high rez if you click above.

Last edited:
This is a strange little sight. Its an Aimshot, probably made in ChongZing China. I put it on the .357 rifle.

I don't know how I'll like it but it was free so I have to try it.
20160210_232734-2-1.jpg
I was going to put it on the 464, but I thought the recoil of a .30-30 carbine would be too much for it.

I will be ordering my 464 soon, I hope. I have scopes on all my rifles. This has been a great thread for me to study. Thanks for the info. I may or may not scope my 464. I am pondering a Ghost Ring.

Well that Aimshot was a bust. It'd be OK for the kids at 25 yards, shooting .22s, but me trying to shoot 50 yards was, not great.

I probably could shoot a deer with it at 50 yds, as I was able to put 10 sloppy shots in a 6 in circle, and I somehow scored a bullseye by accident.

With the Leupold 4x I was scoring much better, putting 5 shots in a 2 inch group.

And the Aimshot is dim. Maybe I could give it a shot at twilight or indoors, but it's really not for me.

With the Tasco 4x on my 464 I was scoring OK at 50 yards, considering my eyes.

I really need a 9x min for 50+ yd target work, and my next scope will be more powerful, as at 200 yds, the 9x is not quite enough .

Last edited:
HI folks, I'm new here but been following this thread for a little while.
I ran into a couple issues with my installation.

Mossy 464 lever
Scope is hawk optic 2-7-32
Base are 2x Weaver 403 (48107)
Ring's Weaver grand slam medium (49302)

My first problem happened with the scope. The total 1" tube of the scope was too short for the base positions. So I had to invert one or the other. Tried both, but the scope felt where it should be with the front one 180 degrees inverted. I was a tiny bit worried that it would cause a problem for the shell extraction. I extracted an empty shell like 10x and it ran fine. It's not hitting the scope nor jamming anywhere.

Second problem is the parallax on the front of my scope. It's rubbing against the rear open sight. I've always read that the only issues with the 464 was the sights. God, took me just one little tap to remove it. They are flimsy!!!

That issue gone, scope sits where it should be, and my parallax is free to move. Even with the medium height rings, I still see a tiny bit of the front sight trough the scope.. Of well. It's not in the way, just visible.

Third concern was the rear hammer been not very accessible under the scope. I don't see how lower rings could work with a scope on this specific rifle.... I added a hammer gizmo allowing me to cock it diseways.

The last addition to the bare gun was 2 swivels for a sling. There's a specific set of swivels that will attach directly to the front loading tube.

Here's a few pictures of my issues, and gizmos.

Excellent info. Just what I needed. I have a set of the swivels but am missing the smaller screw. I will see if i can rig up one from the hdw store...or get a new one. Now I can get what I need and have the stuff ready to mount when I get the rifle.

I'm going to go have a look at the scopes at Dicks & pick up some more ammo. I might find a less expensive AR style scope to put on the .22, and move the Leupold on to the .357, then buy a better Leupold for the .30-30.

Been mulling over the question of a scope for my 464. "Window shopping" on the web sites of many makers, from Bushnell to Tasco. Reticles, field of view and reliability of adjustments have been uppermost in my mind. There seems to be an ongoing debate on an Aussie forum that I follow where some scorn the expensive brands, while others refer the reader to the Stratospherically Expensive. What to do?:confused: Buy what you can afford and hope for the best?:)

Nikon Prostaff got good reviews and not too expensive. I shot one and it was very nice. Nicer than my Bushnell or Tasco or my Simmons.

Not quite a Leupold though.

Nikon Prostaff got good reviews and not too expensive. I shot one and it was very nice. Nicer than my Bushnell or Tasco or my Simmons.

Not quite a Leupold though.

Fwiw,
There is a mention of Vortex on an Oz forum, about Vortex. Wondered if you had considered one of those. I looked up Vortexoptics and found a Diamondbak 2-7X35 which "looked" ok but I have no personal experience with them. Hope this helps:)

Fwiw,
There is a mention of Vortex on an Oz forum, about Vortex. Wondered if you had considered one of those. I looked up Vortexoptics and found a Diamondbak 2-7X35 which "looked" ok but I have no personal experience with them. Hope this helps:)

I have heard of them and know of a few guys who use or have used them and I have not heard any bad reports about them. But, I only had a small amount to spend, and considering the el cheapo scope I had on the Marlin that came with the rifle worked very well, I got a Simmons for about $100 and I think it will do nicely. One feature is the left side turret for parallax adjustment, which I need. If I would have had more to spend I was thinking about a Burris.
#441124 is the one I got, but the picture on their website only shows 1 scope which is different. Here is Bud's:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/99_600/products_id/56994/Simmons Riflescope wTruplex ReticleMatte FinishSide Focus

Last edited:
I bought this Simmons 22Mag scope for my mom's old Mossberg .22 varmint gun.

2016-02-20 07.14.19.jpg

It's OK for the price (under $50) and has a good reputation from what I've read.

I bought a similar Bushnell at the same time and I'd say they work about equal. The Simmons might be a little nicer.

They're both on .22s, so they should last for ever unless they get smacked hard.

That's the Bushell on my wife's Savage .22

20160125_092159-1.jpg

Actually it's a variable power, so I probably paid a few dollars more for the Bushnell.

Back