• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX tactical lever rifle

I have to admit that I had the idea but I kind of liked it in person. I have no need for the rail on the forend but the stock was kind of cool. I have a bunch of pictures to load tonight.

41026.gif

41022.jpg

43027.gif

43025.gif

I would like to handle one before I "shoot" it down.. :lol:

Might sell a lot in Kalifornia,....... :lol: :D :mrgreen:

The .22 model might find a way into my safe.... :roll:

Lateck,

I must admit it looks better in the photos than it does on the web site. I applaud innovation and thinking outside the box but the SPX is neither. Now if Mossberg had chambered the SPX in .454 casull, .500 s&w or .50ae then I could at least give them credit for being serious about developing a tactical lever gun.

If the SPX was offered in any of these calibers would it change any minds :?:

I actually fail to see how a lever gun is "tactical".

Mossberg already makes some sweet lever guns! But its capacity is limited, and the big bore calibers are far better suited for big game. I dunno, I like the look, but I still dont get it... a tactical prarie rifle?

Please help me understand, this rifle confuses me!

This formula has worked for them before. 40 years ago no one considered a shotgun a tactical firearm, now its accepted . I personally wouldn't buy an SPX but I don't own a tactical shotgun either my idea of a home defense shotgun is a coach gun with exposed hammers. :D

I showed my 12 year old the SPX she thinks its cool but she thinks Justin Beiber is cool to. :lol:

Rossignol said:
I actually fail to see how a lever gun is "tactical".

Mossberg already makes some sweet lever guns! But its capacity is limited, and the big bore calibers are far better suited for big game. I dunno, I like the look, but I still dont get it... a tactical prarie rifle?

Please help me understand, this rifle confuses me!

It was a tactical choice in the 1800’s. The strategy was to have superior fire power and the repeating rifle was the tactical choice to carry out the strategy. That is why the Army got their asses kicked at Little Big Horn. They had single shot Springfield’s as their tactical choice for their strategy of standing and fighting in a line and if timed right they could generate constant fire. The Natives chose a strategy of guerrilla warfare, hit and run. Their tactical choice was leaver action repeaters and bows which are much quicker and better suited for their strategy.
Tactics are the means to have a successful strategy. So the leaver action is a tactical tool but an out dated one…..anything can be a tactical choice , people just use the word wrong all the time and those are the people Mossberg is marketing to, people who watch too much zombie movies......lol that was for you bro

Oli, I agree also. The word is used much differently than you explain it.

I know its a topic that comes up from time to time, and most commonly over used and incorrectly.

I'm sure the lever action rifle was a fine tactical choice way back when, and its still an effective tool in cases... but not a superior choic given todays technology. As you mentioned, it was superior to single shot rifles in its time. Advances have been made since. I think as far as rifles go, a fair comparisson today would be the lever action rifle on one side, and (insert any contemoprary military automatic) on the other side.

Simply being a black rifle with rails and fiber optic front post doesnt make it tactical, except in the incorrect usage of the word which I think is better pronounced "tacticool"-aid.

Its a cool lookin rifle. Is it a superior tactical choice, as a tool, to carry out a strategedy by todays standards? Probably not. Does it make a fine hunting arm? Sure! Will the rails and stock be taken seriously among hunters? Probably not. Will its cool factor sell it to a crowd that otherwise wouldnt look twice at a lever action rifle? Sure!

I would consider buying one just to have and shoot from time to time and as a collectors piece because I dont think theyll be on the market for too long.

Again, I think OFM would do well to quit the gimmicky stuff and focus their energies on correcting reoccuring problems to make the company hardcore and great once again.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... g-464-spx/

New from Mossberg: 464 SPX
new-from-mossberg-464-spx

RF’s putting a lot of time – and no small amount of dinero – into cobbling together his own version of a cowboy assault rifle. Looks like Mossberg’s seen the need for a tactical lever gun and is now cranking them out on their own. The 464 SPX comes in .30-.30 (above) and .22LR. MSRP for the .30-.30 is $527 with retail coming in around four bills. And yes, they’ll be extending the line with an upcoming *sigh* ZMB zombie model. Because if cowboys have to worry about aliens, God only knows the zombie menace can’t be far behind.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012 ... er-action/

Mossberg Tactical 464 SPX Lever Action

Mossberg has introduced a range of Mossberg 464 lever action rifles pimped out with picatinny rails, six position adjustable stock (including adjustable comb height), 3-dot fiber optic sights and flash suppressor.

img_6268-tm-tfb.jpg

While they look weird, and are more than a little "tacti-cool", they are practical. For both hunting and self-defense being able to mount accessories, such as lasers or flashlights, makes perfect sense. The adjustable stock works as well on a lever action as a semi-automatic.

img_6269-tm-tfb.jpg

img_6270-tm-tfb.jpg

The rifles will be avalible in .22 LR (18" barrel, 13+1 capacity) and .30-30 (16" barrel, 5+1 capacity). There is also a "ZMB" model

http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/rifl ... on-rifles/

Mossberg 464 SPX Tactical Lever Action Rifles

shot-show-2012-mossberg-tactical-lever-action-30-30-22lr.jpg

shot-show-2012-mossberg-tactical-lever-action-30-30.jpg

Mossberg has spruced up the trusty old “Appalachian assault rifle” with their new 464 SPX lever action rifles that they debuted at the 2012 SHOT Show. They added picatinny rails, an adjustable six position stock, flash suppressor and fiber optic sights. Currently the new 464 SPX lever action rifles are available in .22lr with a 18″ barrel in 13+1 capacity and in .30-.30 with a 16″ barrel and 5+1 capacity.

DHonovich said:
Mossberg has spruced up the trusty old “Appalachian assault rifle” with their new 464 SPX lever action rifles that they debuted at the 2012 SHOT Show.

Trust me.

People from Appalachia are laughing at this and are not taking it seriously.

So, theres a need for a tactical lever gun? I still think if your first choice is a rifle, (and it isnt) there are better choices than a limited capacity lever action.

Sure it has rails, so it may indeed make perfect sense to put lasers and lights on it. Maybe for a property gun? I dunno? Could it be used in like an open classs for cowby action shooting?

All said... and I still kinda dont entirely dislike it. I just cant justify it or rationalize it.

Dan, I still appreciate ya bringin it to us! ;)

Back